Chapter 22 - 1947

Evie and Peter married in March 1947 - nothing ostentatious, just a simple ceremony at St. Martin’s followed by a buffet lunch at Hope Cottage. Jack was unable to attend the church as he was now confined to bed, struggling to get his breath as his damaged lungs finally gave up. With Peter’s help, Evie had come to terms with the events of the past twenty five years and was fully reconciled with both Jack and Jed. The two men had buried their differences, becoming firm friends in what would be Jack’s final days. Jed spent many hours by Jack’s bedside helping him make peace with some of the memories which still haunted him and holding his hand when the spectre of death looked him straight in the eyes.

 Something that concerned Evie and Jed were letters that had started arriving for Jack some weeks earlier. They were postmarked ‘London’ and were addressed in small neat handwriting. Jack refused to say who had sent them but after each letter he seemed visibly shaken.

 Peter and Evie honeymooned for a week near Sheringham on the east coast. It was six days of bracing walks along deserted windswept beaches and lingering meals by wood burning fires followed by leisurely nights of love making. They decided whilst on honeymoon that they wouldn’t delay starting a family. They both felt that a baby would help with their new beginning and provide a focus for their life together after the horrors of the war.

 The other important decision taken on that holiday was that Peter would accept Jed’s invitation to join him in the business, now a thriving construction company with branches in three local towns. Peter had already spent time in the business and had proved himself very capable. As an engineer by training, he was quickly able to learn the mechanics of construction. But he was also an able businessman, good with figures, calm under pressure and liked by clients. Jed had found himself increasingly relying on Peter as Jack’s health deteriorated.

 On April 7th, Jack passed away in the early hours of the morning. Jed was by his bedside and Evie was preparing a pot of tea downstairs in the parlour. Jed dozed, lulled into semi sleep by the deep sonorous gasps emitting from Jack’s diaphragm. Suddenly, they simply stopped. The silence brought Jed to a swift consciousness. He checked Jack’s pulse and felt nothing. For a few moments he simply stared at Jack – this man who had brought so much turmoil yet so much reward into his life. Because of him he now ran a successful business and was highly respected in the community. Because of him he had a daughter. Evie had told him that she would always think of him as her father. Yet for these two important gifts he had sacrificed his wife. He stood up and looked at Jack. Even in death he looked troubled. Jed bent over and kissed his forehead. Then he called for Evie.

 Less than a week later, they were all gathered again at St. Martin’s Church for the funeral. There were over thirty people present. Jack’s former drinking pals were loyal to the end and turned out in force to salute the passing of a former diehard.

 As they gathered round the grave and the Reverend Bowman committed Jack’s body to the soil, “Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust,” Evie thought she spotted an elderly woman dressed in a smart black suit waiting just beyond the church yard wall watching the proceedings intently. After the committal was finished and people drifted away from the graveside, Evie watched as the woman in black walked up to the grave and stood there with her head bowed for several minutes, before turning and walking quickly away. Excusing herself, Evie ran after the woman, drawn by some deep curiosity to find out more. She reached her as she was passing through the gate and turning into the High Street.