Chapter 8 - Spring 1921

By early March of 1921, the worst of the winter weather had passed and spring flowers were beginning to push their way through the softening ground and brighten the dormant countryside. Buds were appearing on the trees and early blossom was beginning to bloom in the cherry and plum orchards around Frampton.

Alice and Jed visited the plot again and made final preparations for the building work to begin. They decided to position the house in the middle of the site where it would be surrounded by garden. Another area was designated as the site of a workshop for Jed as they had already decided that when Dan retired, he would run the business from home and save on the cost of renting the workshop. They hadn't considered what would happen to Dan who lived above the workshop but Alice persuaded Jed that this could be dealt with at a later time.

It was a sunny Monday in mid March when a small party gathered to witness the first sod being turned. Dan had been invited to attend and also two of his drinking friends from The Fox and Hounds. Alice brought a flagon of cider and five cups so that they could toast the occasion properly. Jed stood poised with a heavy duty spade as Dan prepared to make a speech. He cleared his throat and puffed out his chest in a gesture befitting the solemn occasion.

"We are gathered here today," began Dan.

"You're not marrying us, Dan," interrupted Jed, "just do something brief and to the point."

"That's just what I'm trying to do if you'll shut up and give me a chance."

Dan adjusted his posture and began again.

"It were many years ago when I acquired this land, and when I did so I had in mind to marry and raise a family. But sad for me, it never turned out that way. I let my opportunities slip by and then it were too late. So it gives me real pleasure to pass this land on to Jed and Alice. 'Cos unlike me, Jed has done what a young man should do and ask a beautiful lass to marry him and she's had the sense to say yes. And I reckon they'll be raising a lot of little ones here too. So raise your cups and drink to Jed and Alice and their new home."

A chorus of congratulations rang out and Jed seized the shovel, plunging it deep into the rich black loam. The small audience clapped and downed the remnants of their cider before making their way home.

Jed and Alice were left alone on the plot as the setting sun met the horizon, bathing the site in a warm pink glow. Jed slipped his arm around Alice's waist and they watched in silence as the sun dropped out of sight. A sudden chill in the air caused them to cling to each other more tightly.

"You know, Jed," said Alice softly, "we need a name - a name for our house. What do you think?"

"I don't know. I haven't given it any thought."

"Well, it seems to me, Jed, that this place is full of hope - hope for our future, hope for your work and hope for us being together. So why don't we just call our home 'Hope Cottage'?"

"Hope Cottage. I like the sound of it. It's everything we hoped for isn't it? Our own place, being a couple, being accepted."

"That's it then, Hope Cottage," repeated Alice, sinking contentedly into Jed's arms.

"You don't think we're tempting fate, do you?" asked Jed, looking suddenly concerned.

"I don't believe in fate, I told you that. Whatever you want, you got to make it happen. That's what we're going to do, Jed, me and you together."

Jack coughed and spluttered as the doctor moved the stethoscope across his back

"It's no better, Jack. There's still fluid on your lungs and I see you're bringing up blood. That means something's ruptured. You should really go into hospital and undergo observation and tests."