Chapter 21 - February 1946

Life at Hope Cottage was strained and tense in the days following Peter’s return. It was clear that he was no longer the confident and optimistic young man who had set sail for Singapore in 1941. Before, he moved energetically and enthusiastically. Now he moved slowly and deliberately, his head often bowed. Conversations at meal times were polite but not illuminating. Any attempt to talk about the war was met with a wall of silence.

    Evie found the whole experience very unsettling. For five years she had been nursing the memory of a man she had loved, knowing that he would never return from war. She had allowed her memories to soften and mellow, shutting out anything that deflected from the comfort of those private thoughts. Now she was confronted with a new reality and her private paradise was being shattered. There seemed to be no spark of romantic interest, no endearing words and no close physical contact.

    Each morning after breakfast, Peter would leave the house to walk and not return until early evening. Evie asked him where he went and what he was thinking about but he simply replied,

     “I need time, Evie. I need time. I’m so sorry.”

     One evening after Peter had retired to bed early as usual, Evie lay on her own bed trying to make sense of her feelings. She knew now that Peter had suffered and had locked away terrible memories inside his mind. Somehow, she had to help him deal with these.

 She caught sight of the silver box on her dresser. She opened the lid and rifled through the letters until she came to one addressed to her on her tenth birthday. There was something her mother had told her about Jack which she needed to read again.

     Dearest Evie,

    Happy birthday, darling, on your tenth birthday. I expect you’re very beautiful now. You’ve inherited my auburn hair and I’m sure it makes you look very distinctive. How is your life? I hope it’s full of love. I know that Daddy cares for you very much and will always love you, whatever the future may bring. Is Uncle Jack still with you? If he is, I expect he’s still spoiling you.

 I want to tell you a little bit about Uncle Jack. In the future, you may find that he becomes important in your life. Uncle Jack needs to be loved. I think that’s why he found his way into our lives. In the war he was badly hurt. He worked behind enemy lines and was caught. He was badly beaten and tortured. He also blames himself for the death of two French agents who worked closely with him. I’m telling you this because I want you to know that he’s a very special man, not just the kind old uncle who gives you too many sweets. People who have been through what he’s been through seldom want to talk about their experiences but they need to be understood. Please remember this if you ever find yourself harbouring anger in your heart for Uncle Jack.

 Evie stopped reading and put the letter down. She had forgotten about Jack’s war service but reading the letter again gave her an idea.

    The next day she took Jack’s breakfast tray to him at eight in the morning. They made polite conversation about the weather as Evie drew back the curtains and put cushions behind Jack’s back to help him sit upright.

    “Uncle Jack, I know you know what’s going on,” began Evie.

    “There’s lots of goings on in this house, Evie, what do you mean?”

    “Peter and me. That’s what I’m talking about. We were close – before he went away. We made promises to each other. But now it’s all different. He’s not the same man any more. I want to know why. I want to know what I can do to bring him back – the old Peter who left here in ’41. Mum told me in one of her letters that you’d been badly treated in the war. Can you help me to understand? What can I do to help Peter?”