Chapter 16 - Winter 1921-Autumn 1922

The awarding of the Maltings contract to ‘Carters Builders and Contractors’ had an immediate effect on all of their lives. The contract was worth fifty thousand pounds, far bigger than anything Jed had tackled before. Almost immediately, he was required to attend meetings with the town planners and quickly learnt that he needed Jack with him to lend an air of confidence and professionalism. Sitting with council officials, Jed felt a sense of resentment that he couldn’t negotiate and parry questions in the way that Jack could. Jack was quick and good with numbers. Jed always took his time to think and this was mistakenly construed as being slow witted.

 Of particular concern to the planners was Carters’ ability to meet the proposed schedule. The town council had already planned a grand opening ceremony in September of the following year.

 “Mr. Carter, I have some concerns to raise with you,” began the chief engineer at one particularly tetchy meeting. “We were all sorry to learn of the death of your colleague, Daniel, in that terrible accident, but you seem to have made little progress in replacing him. What are you going to do about this and did you take the costs for additional labour into account when you provided us with your quote?”

 “Well, I haven’t exactly put my mind to that,” began Jed, addressing a point on the table in front of him. “I expect we’re going to need extra help though there’s no one can say that I don’t put in the hours myself and when it comes to ...”

 At this point Jack hastily interrupted and took control.

 “What Mr. Carter is saying is that at this stage of the contract we would be adding unnecessary cost by employing more people. But as soon as construction begins we will, of course, be recruiting. In fact, we have already started conducting preliminary interviews.”

 Jed’s jaw noticeably dropped as he digested this news.

 “And if you look at our cost schedules you will see that labour charges progressively rise in months two, three and four as additional labour is employed.”

 “Thank you, Mr. Malikov, I am reassured,” mumbled the chief engineer rather grudgingly.

 Although Jed still held a great dislike for Jack for obvious personal reasons, he had to admit to himself that on the business front things seemed to be going well. Jack was a slick business operator but he always allowed Jed to make the decisions when it came to matters of construction. Their enthusiasm for the project even began to spill over into their home life. Following a site visit, both Jack and Jed arrived home at Hope Cottage together and, rather than eat separately, they decided to break the rule and eat together so that they could continue their conversation over a meal.

 “Seems to me, Jack, we need to start recruiting now. All that baloney you gave the council about a plan is just rubbish. What plan ‘ave you got in mind?”

 “We’ll make a plan. We’ll do it now,” replied Jack as he tucked in to a portion of suet pudding.

 “You must know people who need work, Jed,” added Alice, “good people that we can trust. What about your brother, Tom?”

 “Tom’s OK but he knows nothing about building. I’ll have to train him.”

 “And what about your father, Alice?” suggested Jack.” I know he has a drink problem but maybe this would give him back some self respect.”

 “My drunken slob of a Pa!”

 “He’s strong as a carthorse, your Pa,” replied Jed. “May not be such a daft idea as it sounds.”

 On these occasions, as the banter flowed easily round the table, Alice began to feel that the plan was working far beyond her expectations. The idea that the three of them could live in harmony as a family was clearly preposterous, especially given the circumstances of her seduction by Jack. But against all the odds, here they were, sitting together and making plans like any normal family. Alice supposed it worked because they all needed something and each had something to offer to the other. Jack needed to belong. He needed roots and he needed her. What he had to offer was money. Jed needed that investment to give him the success he craved. But he also needed Alice to care for him and motivate him. What did Jed have to offer? There was the house that had somehow come to symbolise their unique relationship. It was at the centre of their unorthodox life and was the setting in which this drama would unfold. He was also a part of her life that she didn't want to let go of. She couldn't be his lover but she could still be his friend. Then what about her – Alice? What did she need and what did she have to give? All her life she had wanted to climb out of poverty. Jed had been her pathway out of the mire and she owed him so much for that. But she didn’t love him and never would. She loved Jack and she needed the passion and physical reassurance that he gave her in bed. Their love making had to remain covert so that Jed would not be goaded into aggression again. So long as Jed was shielded from the truth, he was able to shut out those things that he found unpalatable. The question now was whether Alice could maintain this delicate balance with both men, especially with the imminent arrival of a baby. She realised that the route ahead was strewn with obstacles but it was the only one open to her now and she would have to venture along its perilous way with her eyes fully open.