Welcome Home

Chapter Fourteen: Welcome Home

Alana bought herself and Jessika some clothes from a convenient store, during a quick refuel stop just an hour outside of Dallas; she helped her ‘daughter’ change out her dirty, smelly rags she had been wearing for the past few days while they were on the run and helped her wash up then change. Once they were both looking refreshed and more presentable, Alana allowed Jessika to gather herself some snacks for the duration of the tip.

“No, Jessi—You don’t need all of that candy.” Alana giggled as Jessika placed her bags of gummy bears, sweet tarts and lemon drops on the purchase counter. “Only one and I’ll let you choose.”

“Aw, mommy—“ Jessika whined, but Alana was unmoved.

“You heard what I said.”

Jessika sighed and took back the sweet tarts and the lemon drops, but eventually came back with a back of cheddar flavored party mix and little bottle apple juice.

“Now that is better.” Alana rubbed her head, then leaned down and kissed her cheek. Jessika smiled big before wrapping her arms around her mother.

The bus ride was short and sweet; Alana felt the butterflies in her stomach as the bus approached the station. She was finally free; she and Jessika were finally free from it all. Jessika glanced up at her then back to the crowds and crowds of people.

“Who are you looking for, Mommy?” She asked as she gripped Alana’s hand tighter.

“My mommy,” she muttered as she began to walk, pulling the confused little girl with her.

Alana walked expeditiously past the crowds of loved ones reuniting, in search for her own; she had these stringent butterflies fluttering about in her stomach, she was so anxious to be in her mother and father’s loving arms once again… Then on the hand, she craved to be in his… Her heart was starting to miss Mason and it made yearn for him.

“MY BABY!!!”

Halting, Alana busted into tears as Truvie raced to her, arms stretched wide for a long awaited embrace for her; placing Jessika on her hip, Alana ran to meet her mother half way across the train station’s lobby. The two crashed into one another, hugging each other tightly, sobbing into each other’s shoulders; all the emotion made Jessika jealous... She didn’t like how Truvie was hugging all over her mother, and she did not like how Alana was so overly excited to her either…

It bothered her.

“Oh mommy!” Alana whimpered as her mother released her from her loving embrace, just to grab her face and kiss her vigorously on the cheeks. “I missed you so much!”

“I am so happy you are alive and well!”

Truvie wiped Alana’s falling tears then looked to a flustered Jessika, then back to Alana with a concerned look on her face. “What have you done? Are trying to bait him into looking for you again?!” She began to panic and grow irate as her daughter to shush her. “Oh no, no, no… We cannot keep this little girl, she has to go to the police—“

“No, Mommy, no!” Jessika screamed as she hooked her little arms around Alana’s neck. “Don’t send me away, Mommy—Don’t send me away!” She buried her face into her neck, shivering at the thought of being away from her mother; but Alana stared fiercely at her mother as she comforted the little girl in her arms, Truvie was overreacting to the discovery of Jessika in her opinion.

“Baby, you aren’t going anywhere…” Alana whispered into her ears, but Jessika still clung closely to her. “Mom… Don’t and stop.”

Truvie stared at her like she had two heads.