25. Yesterday & Today. Tomorrow & Forever.

[VOTE & COMMENT and answer the question at the end for a chance to have the epilogue dedicated to you!] Baby Ethan on the side!

Chapter 25 "Yesterday & Today. Tomorrow & Forever."

Your Body is a Wonderland – John Mayer

Ethan's POV

"This – these – are stupid." Spencer grumbled; arms folded across his barley-there chest. His hips were slightly cocked to the side as he leaned against the clear, windex-ed glass and his face held a heavy scowl with his eyes blinking back and forth between my face and hands.

We were standing near the display window of a popular pet store after another one of my pet cats died. I had come to complain about them giving me faulty animals and to demand a refund and an actual working, fully functional housecat but was denied by the store manager who said that she couldn't give me another cat because she didn't want another one dead. Bitch, much?

Eventually I was forcefully removed...but not empty handed.

"You always say that." I replied and extended what was in my hand to him. He swatted it away. I frowned. "Why do you have to be such an ass about these things?" I grouched, keeping my hand extended just in case he decided to be civil. Just in case.

But, today just wasn't my lucky day. He shoved my hand back to my chest. "Keep it." He muttered.

"But," I squeaked, but he started walking. "They're supposed to..." I sighed and started to jog after him. "Wait up, loser!"

Saturday was sunny and hot and sticky and all around a good day. The weather was humid, sure, but it was the weekend and the sky practically screamed beach as me and Spence walked along the pavement somewhere in downtown Pleasant Acres.

It was quiet between us, but something comfortable and tangible and I liked it. Spencer's eyes were in his phone and I took in the sight of the odd red colored taxis pick up women in knee length dresses and large sun hats and big shades as well as took in the smells of corner side hotdogs and coffee. I hated coffee, but the smell was nice.

"Sniff any harder and you're going to inhale the entire sidewalk." Spencer mumbled, apathetically with his head still in his phone and his shades still sitting on top of his tamed hair. "And why are you wearing that thing?" he asked, looking over. His eyes went to my pocket. "What did you do with the other one?"

I shrugged. "Threw it away."

He raised a brow. "Why?"

"Does it matter? It's not like you wanted it..." I grumbled grudgingly, stuffing my hands into my jeans' pocket and kicking a loose pebble that was in front of me.

He didn't reply. So I took the moment to bring up the question I had asked earlier. "Do you..." I exhaled sharply, "Do you-you think you'll ever come back?"

"Don't be foolish, E." Spencer barked. "It's for the summer break." He had answered, though he didn't create eye contact.

"I heard your parents talking about maybe getting a place there in Manhattan...or something."

"Yeah," he laughed sharply; and void of humor, "they also wanted to get a home in Britain when we vacationed there last year, but home we came didn't we?"

"I guess." I answered, though it was meant for my ears and thoughts more than Spencer's. "I won't have anyone to cuddle with while you're gone." I pouted, folding my arms over my chest as I tried to avoid knocking into a businessman on his cellphone. "I won't even have a furry companion."