The Wedding Planner [Chapter 17]

I gulped. Really? Did she really like this ruffled mess?

The dress I had picked out was ruffled and had this weird fold thing on the side and it confused me so much. I honestly didn’t think the dress looked good on the hanger, much less on a person. The dress wouldn’t look good on anyone. I almost started to think about what Kirk would think of it on their wedding day, but the thought of Kirk almost made me sick. I was with his fiancée picking out her wedding dress, saving the day. She would brutally murder me if she found out about Kirk and I’s kiss, and I was desperately trying to avoid him.

“Come look at it, guys! It’s amazing!” Daphne cheered as Ruby and I walked to go find her before mirror, admiring the dress that fit her perfect, but flattered rather nothing. “Oh, Lanea!” she claimed as she turned to look at me and her other friend Macy turned came out of a different row of dresses. “You’re a miracle worker!” And before I knew it, I was pulled into this tight, awkward, extremely uncomfortable hug.

I laughed a little and tried not to act as though I were scared. “Yep,” I said, a smile forced onto my lips. “I am.”

Michael was looking at me and Daphne, smiling fakely at the dress that was before him. Clearly, he didn’t find the dress as beautiful as she did.

Daphne smiled at me again and turned to Michael. “This is the one.”

He walked toward her and took one of the ruffles in his hand. “Are you sure you want this one? I thought you wanted strapless, and I mean, I guess we could make this one strapless but it would take some-“

“No, Michael,” she pushed him away in almost a dramatic way to look at her dress in the mirror again. “Get the veil!”

Michael walked away, and I heard him sigh as he retrieved a veil made of fake flowers, the same ones that would be at the wedding, only the ones on her head on the wedding day would be living. He placed it perfectly on her head only to make her grin grow wider and wider.

Ruby and I shared an almost disappointed look before looking at Daphne again and watching her nod in the mirror, her eyes on us.

“Well, okay.” I breathed slow. “This dress it is.”

~~~~~~

I heard heavy steps from outside my door and shot up off of the couch to look out of my peep-hole. Westly stood at his front door, pulling his keys out of his oil-stained blue jeans. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him, and mindlessly, my hand fumbled for the lock and the doorknob.

Then I stopped, and watched him unlock his door and toss his sweatshirt onto the couch. He didn’t look happy at all, and that bothered me. He left his door open as he walked in to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water and walked back out into the stairwell, looking out at the city below him through a window.

His usually bright eyes looked deep with sadness, and I literally felt like someone had come and stabbed me in the heart, and twisted the knife one too many times. I saw him mutter something and then start to go back inside. But I opened the door too quickly, and the sound of my front door opening made him turn around to look at me. The sad look had disappeared, or had been hidden.