18. Family Roots

Almost the ending...

----------------------

Four years later (Carlos is 28 and Xander is 25, after school started Sept.)

Carlos' POV

"Babe, you have letter." I hear Xander say.

I look up to see him enter the living room. "How was your day? From who?"

"I told you before I left the school. Hmm, someone named Josue Alvarez."

"But, I haven't seen you since then and you came home while I still had to coach. Who is that?"

Xander shakes his head. "I came home, ate a snack, and then came to prepare dinner. How was football practice?"

"It was good, we're getting ready for the game on Friday."

"Good and how would I know?" Xander asks with a smile. "Open it to find out." He says sitting on my lap.

I wrap my arms around him. He's always sitting on my lap, not that I mind. "Open it." I tell him.

"But it's your mail." He says.

He doesn't like opening mail if it's not addressed to him. "I'm giving you permission to open it, pumpkin."

"Ugh, okay." He says breaking the envelope's seal. "It's a letter." Xander says as he takes the paper out of the envelope and hands it to me.

I open it to see, "You won't know who I am. It will probably be a shock to find out who I am as it was for me when I found out you existed. You were in the foster system until a family adopted you. I can't imagine what it must have been like. My name is Josue Alvarez. I'm your half-brother from our mother's side."

"You have a half-brother." Xander whispers.

"Our mother told me recently that I have an older half-brother...she abandoned you and your father. They were never married. I went to search for you after she told me your father's name and your name. I found out your father gave you up as a baby, I searched for him, but found out he died not long after he gave you up...then it was difficult to find out who adopted you because your name changed, but I did find you. I would like to know you. Would you be willing to meet up? I have attached my phone number if you are. I'm sorry that you found out this way and that it might seem overwhelming. Please let me know either way."

"You have family." Xander states. "What are you thinking? Feeling?"

"I don't know. I never wanted to know why I was left, but..."

"He probably didn't leave you because he wanted to. He might have been sick."

"Do you think he knows how he died?"

"Maybe. Do you think you want to meet him?"

"I don't know. I feel like I have to tell my parents about this. It's not fair."

"They've asked you if you ever wanted to learn about your parents. They'll understand if you want to learn about them, meet him."

"Should I meet him?" I ask looking at the envelope.

"He lives two cities over." Xander states.

"Why would she tell him about me after so many years?"

"I don't know. The only way you're going to get answers to any of the questions is if you call or meet him. I'll be with you every step." He says looking into my eyes.

I peck his lips. "Thank you."

"Do you want to eat? You can think it over. You don't have to decide today."

"Yes." I reply. Do I really want to meet a half-brother I didn't know existed and possibly my mother, who abandoned us. Why did my biological father give me up? I want to know what caused his death.

"Babe, you didn't listen to me." Xander says pushing a plate towards me.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. I can imagine how overwhelming this must all feel."

I give him a small smile. He knows what happened to his parents, so he has no questions. I didn't know that I wanted to know what happened with my biological parents. "I think I'm going to call my dads."

"Okay, but after you finish eating. I did make one of your favorites."

He did make tacos. "Okay and thank you, pumpkin."

"You're welcome. I think it might be good if you decide to meet up with Josue."

I nod. "Maybe, but I want to tell my dads what is going on."

"I understand."

"Did you ever want to connect with your biological father's family?" I ask Xander.

"No, if they couldn't help him or even visit me when he died then they're not worth it. It would have been nice to know they cared."

"Yes..."

"Would you like to meet your biological mother?" Xander asks.

"I don't know. You know I always made the conclusion that they gave me up for adoption because they didn't want me at least I know she left us, so she didn't want me. I don't know if I want to meet her."

"But what if she wants to ask for your forgiveness?"

"I don't know."

Xander nods. "Call your dads. I'll take care of the dishes tonight."

"Okay, thanks."

"Papa?"

"Hi, Carlos, how are you?"

"I have something important to talk to you and dad. Is he there?"

"Of course, he is. Hold on I'm putting you on speaker phone."

"Hi Carlos, how are you?" Esteban asks.

"I'm okay. I have something important to tell you."

"Okay, go on." Robert prompts.

"I received a letter today from Josue Alvarez...he says he learned from his mother that he is my, my half-brother. He wants to meet."

"Oh." Robert says.

"I don't know what to do."

"It's overwhelming?" Esteban supplies.

"Yes. I never wanted to know my biological parents because they gave me up for adoption, but I just realized that beneath all of it I do want to know why? He said that she left my biological father and I and that my biological father died soon after he gave me up for adoption."

"It's a lot to learn from a stranger." Esteban states.

"It might be a good idea to meet with him. It might bring closure that you yourself didn't realize you needed, son." Robert states.

"Yes...he doesn't live far, but what if I don't like what I find out?"

"You found out a lot this evening." Robert reminds me.

"We're here for you and you have your husband with you." Esteban states.

"Thank you."

"We love you and we will support you in the decision you make." Robert adds.

"Thank you."

"We're always here when you need us and we love you."

"I love you too. We'll visit this weekend."

"We'll be glad to see you both."

"Have a goodnight dads."

"You too and your husband."

"Thanks, bye."

"Bye, take care." It might be better to know than have these unanswered questions.

-----------------------

Thank you for reading, commenting, and/or voting.