Chapter 4- Surfing Lessons

Everything was quiet. It was still dark out, the sun was barely up at the most. I was laying in bed staring out the window, there was an open space where you could see the ocean since the beach house wasn't directly in front of us. I watched as the quiet waves seeped in and out carrying the soft sand with it, it was so entertained watching it actually.
I watched the waves a little more and my eyes became heavier and heavier. I almost fell asleep instantly after that. I had a nightmare, I've been having the same one for a while now and I don't really like to talk about it. I woke up and heard my door creak open, I didn't look to see who it was; I was too scared. I heard a voice.
"Hey, you Ok? I heard you crying up here." Paul was still standing by my door.
"Yeah." I was crying little because of my dream.
He noticed I was crying,"Why you crying?" Paul started walking towards my bed.
"Just a bad dream."
"Wanna talk about it?"
"No I'm good."
"Do you want me to leave?" He took a step and I immediately said no.
"Please, stay."
He smiled and sat down on my bed. He noticed I was shaking a little so he rolled over to face me and put his arm around me, he just looked at me and smiled.
"What?" I laughed a little.
"Has anybody told you how beautiful you are?"
"Oh gee Paul anybody ever told you that." He knew I was being sarcastic, but he is gorgeous.
He laughed, "Yeah, I do get the a lot," We both laughed,"I'm kidding." I layed in Paul arms and I didn't want it to end. I pretended I was asleep because I didn't want to miss any of this. After a few minutes he kissed my forehead and got up.
"Where you going?" I asked him.
"Well it's 6:15 and I gotta run home and get my stuff."
"Are you going to be back?"
"I don't live that far from you actually you can come if you want, I just need to get my stuff and come back."
"I'll walk with you."
Paul stopped before reached the door and turned around and said,"Two things, is it okay okay if my brother comes?" I nodded. "And, that jacket looks good on you." He said smiling. CRAP! I forgot I had it on. I started to take it off to give it back when he stopped me and told me to keep it.
We talked as we walked to his house. We also joked around since nobody was really up yet but i were surprised nobody yelled at us for laughing too much.
     We finally got to his house which was only about two blocks away.
"Hey Paul, I'm going to wait out here." He just nodded and went in quietly. He came out wearing his blue swimming shorts, flip flops, and another white shirt. I'm guessing his brother was behind him. He looked a lot like Paul and I'm guessing that's Caleb he looked about 12 or 13 yet he really did look a lot like Paul.
"Kayla, this is Caleb."
"Hey Caleb, nice to meet you." She held my hand out for him to shake it and he did.
"Ready to go?" Paul said thankfully breaking the awkward silence.

We soon went home and woke everyone up and soon got changed along with everyone else. I noticed that Jake wasn't here. By the time I noticed he was gone, obviously he must have been gone for a while because he pulled his truck next to our house and was honking like a maniac. I jumped into the bed of the truck along with all the other boys, then I realized I never got their names.

"So what are all of your names?"

The five boys went around saying their names,"Mike, Will, Jesse, Brad, Cameron." (and just bare with me I don't know any of Paul's childhood friends and yes I realize I put Jesse in here). I have to admit they were pretty good looking, typical California boys:Tan, nice smile, well built, and they were just plain goofs.

We arrived at the beach and surprisingly, it wasn't busy at all. Well, I guess since it was almost seven in the morning there wouldn't be very many people. We grabbed the nine surfboards in the bed of the truck and sprinted towards the beach like animals. I struggled to get the first few waves, but lets face it, I'm from Indiana and the only waves there were in the wave pools in water parks. Paul paddled towards me laughing still from the wipe out I had from the last wave, to be honest it WAS really embarrassing.

"Having a little trouble there missy?"

"Ya think?"

"Just follow my lead," I was just following everyone's lead when approaching the wave; I had no idea what I was doing."You're too tense, just relax."

I did and I did awesome! I was so excited that I made my first wave. So, Paul and his friends and my brother and I decided to have a little challenge...

"Alright," Paul said on his surfboard,"I have a little game we can play, whoever gets the most waves WITHOUT wiping out will get a prize, and whoever LOSES," Paul made a dramatic pause,"Has to pay for lunch."Everyone complained and some were pumped.

After what seemed like endless hours of surfing wave upon wave. I had made twenty-two waves overall without wiping out, I was the winner. The best part was that Paul was the loser, but I think the funny part was that everyone was messing with him because he was the best surfer of all of us but it was really funny watching Caleb messing with him, typical brother bonding.

"Well looks like Mr.Walkers buying us lunch today." Jake said with a smirk on his face. We all laughed except Paul.

We were still in the water on our boards. I stood up on my board, "Wait, since I won, what do I get?"

Paul looked up and I immediately knew he didn't think about the winners prize, he started paddling towards me and also stood up on his board, "The winner gets a kiss from the loser."

He leaned in and I pushed him off his board and into the water. When he came up I said, "Um I don't kiss losers." He knew I was kidding and he just smiled, I knew he was thinking about how he was going to get that kiss. We paddled towards the shore and started packing up, I was smart and brought a change of clothes so I wouldn't be soaking wet in a restaurant. I just slipped on my other bikini because I didn't want to bring my bra and underwear in a truck full of gross hormonal sixteen year old boys. I slipped on a white bikini and dark denim high rise shorts and a light blue crop top that said LA in gold with black flip flops.

We walked into a fantastic smelling mexican resturant, I got excited because I was starving. I felt a little awkward sitting with a bunch of shirtless guys and being the only girl of the group but they didn't seem to notice, they just treat me like "one of the guys". We had already gotten our food and I noticed something I wish I didn't, Paul was flirting with the girl at the table right across from us.