Escape

Will looked across the landing at Pauline, who crouched behind the tapestry, and nodded at her. She nodded back, and he glanced over at Rodney, who also nodded. He was hiding on the same stairs landing they had been at just an hour before, except now they had a plan to get all the soldiers out. They all got up and slowly made their way down the stairs. They all stopped at the base of the stairs and they ducked into a small room just inside the hallway. Will shut the door soundlessly, then whispered, "Rodney, Pauline, you know what to do, right?"

Rodney nodded. "Of course we do, Will. Just tell us when."

"Alright. Go."

Rodney grabbed the door and pushed it open, then crept out into the hallway, making his way toward the anteroom. Will turned and let Pauline through. "Alright. You remember what to - "

"Yes, I do. Will, stop worrying. This is going to work out fine."

Will glanced worriedly at her, then looked down at his hands. "I just - I feel like Halt would do something different. I'm sure there are flaws in my plan, he would notice them. And if anything happened to you, I would - "

"You need to stop worrying about me, and worry about yourself. My part in this plan is not nearly as dangerous as yours. I am going to be just fine, it's almost easy for me. I'm worried more about you. And Halt is worried about both of us." She put her hand on his shoulder. "He will stand by any decisions you make in the field, because he trusts your judgement wholeheartedly." Pauline smiled faintly at the young man in front of her and marvelled the man he had become. So young, with so much responsibility.

Will grinned nervously at her. "Thanks, Pauline. You had better go now. Rodney is waiting for us."

She reached up and touched his cheek gently. "Oh, and one more thing. I know that something is off about your plan. I understand why you didn't tell me the whole truth about it, but all the same... Don't take unnecessary risks. Good luck, and I hope for yours, mine, and everyone out there's sakes that you get out." She pointed out the window, where the Araluen war camp could be clearly seen. Then she got up and left the small room.

Will didn't reply, just stared after her as she left. Then he sat back and thought about what she had said, all of it had been true. He knew that part of what he had told Pauline was a lie. When he constructed his plan, he knew that he wasn't going to be able to escape with them. He took a few deep breathes, and then got up and left the room.

He ran lightly down the steps and, without any attempt to conceal himself, entered the anteroom. Thankfully, no one was in there, and he slung his bow off his shoulder and notched three arrows on the string. Then he brought his leg up and kicked the large doors open with a resounding CRASH! and entered the audience hall, pulling his bow up to full draw.

Pauline moved into position, which was behind a potted plant in the anteroom. She watched silently as Will entered the room shortly after her. He notched 3 arrows in his bow, kicked open the door, and lept through it. Immediately she heard him call out, "King's Ranger! Drop your weapons and surrender!" Pauline waited a moment longer until he advanced farther into the room, then she got up and moved toward the doors. She peeked inside. Will had moved up farther into the hall, holding his bow at full draw. The captured soldiers on the ground looked up, their eyes wide with awe and fear, and they made way for Will to walk through. The seven Genovesans at the front all had turned around and had drawn their knives or loaded their brows bows, and had them all trained on Will's distant but quickly advancing figure. "As I understand it, you are all looking for some jewels, are you not?" Will said cheerfully, picking his way through the bunches of soldiers.