Seven?

Halt gazed out over the landscape surrounding Castle Redmont. Now that he had advanced the troops right up to the walls of the city, he had a much better view of the castle in its entirety and of the surrounding land. Two hours left, Will, he thought. I really hope you have a plan, and you had better have started that plan right now, because you are running out of time. Halt wished he could go find Will; just slip inside the castle, unnoticed by everyone, locate Will and Pauline and help them. Or at least get them out of there. But he knew that he had blown that chance. He had been talking to Gilan in private about possibly going through with a plan like that when Alyss had joined them. She had heard what they were saying, and she had said, "Don't you dare do that! Will's still got 2 hours left! And don't forget we need you, Halt! We can't do this without you, since everyone else who could command a force this size is still inside the castle! So don't even consider it for a moment!" She had said this all very softly, but there was steel in her voice, and ever since, she had come to check on him every fifteen minutes. Of course Halt had realized all of this on his own and had discarded the idea, but he respected Alyss and patiently allowed her to watch him.

"Interrupting some deep thoughts, aren't I?" Gilan's voice snapped Halt out of his thoughts, and Halt turned to him, who was leaning casually in the table next to him. They were standing in a small tent just inside the camp, centered in front of the draw bridge. Halt sighed softly and said,

"I just don't like waiting for something to happen. I wish I could go - go and help him - "

Gilan put a hand on his shoulder. "I know. I feel the same way. But we have to give Will a chance. He's still got two hours."

"I know..." Halt trailed off in thought again.

"Wait - I - I don't believe it! Halt, look! Someone is running across the drawbridge! The portcullis is up and the the bridge is down!"

Halt whirled around and squinted at the bridge. Sure enough, the portcullis was up and the bridge was down, and a man was running down the bridge. Halt ran out of the tent with Gilan close behind and ran up to the head of the camp. Soldiers were sticking their head out of their tents, curious as to what was going on. Halt kept running, and yelled, "Stand down! The situation is being handled! Stand down!" The men didn't withdraw into their tents again, but they lost their anxious or stoic expressions and only looked curious.

Halt and Gilan reached the edge of the camp and they stopped, peering at the man as he drew closer. Halt was able to make out a rumpled but visible palace guard uniform. "It's a soldier..."

"Or is it?" Gilan said. Halt nodded at him, acknowledging his point that it could be an enemy in disguise.

But it became apparent that this was not the case as the soldier came up to the camp, he shouted, "I was released by the Genovesans! I have a message from Ranger Will for Ranger Halt!"

Halt exchanged glances with Gilan, who shrugged, and then he called, "Come closer! Identify yourself!"

The soldier jogged up a little closer until he was a few feet from Halt and Gilan. He then stopped and said, "Merric Whitman, Third Lieutenant of the Redmont Palace Guard at your service, Rangers Halt and Gilan sir!" The lieutenant saluted smartly.

Halt raised his eyebrows. "Well, Lieutenant Whitman, you say you have a message from Ranger Will? How can we be certain that you are who you say you are? How can we be certain that you aren't just a spy sent out by the enemy to gather information? How can we be certain about anything?"

Gilan nodded along with Halt's words. "What if Ranger Will was captured and you're just lying?"

The lieutenant shifted uncomfortably. "Rangers, I don't know if I can reassure you as to my identity, but ask me a question and I will do my best to answer it."
Halt turned to Gilan. "Will managed to pick a much more calm and collected soldier than last time. At least this one is coherent and honest."

Gilan nodded and grinned. "And this one isn't sweating like a pig."

The lieutenant looked back and forth between the Rangers, contemplating as to whether he was going to say anything, but resolved to be silent and let them do the talking. The Halt turned back to him. "I think we believe you, Lieutenant Whitman. Now about that message, please tell us now."

The soldier cleared his throat, and then said, "Ranger Will told me to inform you that there are seven Genovesans on the premises of Castle Redmont. He also wished me to tell you that he and the Lady Pauline are uncaptured for the moment, as well as Sir Rodney, who was not with him. Ranger Will assumes that he is hiding somewhere the Castle Redmont. That is all."

Halt's brow furrowed and Gilan went a little pale. "Wait, hold on, are you sure? Did Will really say seven?" Gilan said, astonished.

The soldier licked his lips nervously. "I wish I weren't, but that is exactly what he told me. Seven total Genovesans in the castle."

Halt just stood there, thinking furiously. Gilan watched him for a moment, and then turned back to the soldier. "So, seven Genovesans, he and Pauline are okay for now, and Sir Rodney is also free and somewhere in the castle? That's all you have for us?"

"Yes." The lieutenant relaxed, and Gilan nodded for him to go. The soldier gratefully ran off toward some other soldier he recognized, and Gilan turned to Halt.

"What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking," Halt muttered, "that Will is running out of time. How much does he have?"

"Little less than 2 hours, I think," Gilan said, squinting up at the sun's position in the sky.

"He needs to do something soon, or we are going to have to do it for him."

Halt turned and walked back into the camp, with Gilan following close behind.

******************

Will had better get a move on, otherwise bad stuff is going to happen! Anyway, fast update as promised! Currently writing the climax... Almost done! Thanks very much for reading. If you enjoyed it, vote and comment! ;)