Home

Will and Halt caught sight of Redmont Castle just after sunrise the following morning. Halt gave a long sigh as the two paused atop the hill that looked over Wensley village. Halt said, "After every mission I ever returned from, I always stopped here. This sight is such a welcome one."

Will looked over at Halt in surprise, and said, "I thought it was just me! I always do that too."

Halt just glanced at him. "Of course you're not the only one. Probably every traveller stops here. The only sight that competes with this in the whole kingdom would be Castle Araluen..." But he trailed to a stop as both Tug and Abelard turned and looked at them.

Why are we just sitting here staring? I'm hungry. Tug shook his mane at Will and clacked his teeth.

Abelard didn't seem to say anything, but he gave Halt a long look and then rolled her eyes toward the castle.

Will looked sidelong at Halt, and then whispered to Tug out of the corner of his mouth, "I'll give you some apples when we get home."

Halt narrowed his eyes at Will. "That horse eats too many apples as it is. Don't promise him anymore."

Tug turned his head and bared his teeth at Halt, and Halt stared him down. Will let them simmer for a few moments, and then drawled sarcastically, "Shall we go, Abelard, while these two keep bickering?" Abelard tossed his head in reply and moved into a smooth canter down the hill, with Will urging Tug on close behind.

The two Rangers rode tiredly through Wensley village and up to the main gates of the castle. The guards let them through without hesitation, calling friendly greetings to the famous Rangers. They rode through to the courtyard, where are a large crowd had gathered for their arrival. As soon as they noticed the two Rangers, they started clapping and calling out to them, cheering and asking them what they had accomplished this time. Will ducked his head down a little further into his cowl, and noticed Halt doing the same. Hopefully, Will thought, there weren't any sketch artists to capture his bright red face. He scanned the crowd hopefully and sure enough, two tall blonde figures stood in front next to the Baron. Will dismounted Tug and turned as a stable hand ran up to him and said, "I'll care for Tug, sir! I'm sure he doesn't like this crowd and your lady is waiting!"

Will agreed and handed him off just in time as Alyss ran to him. She threw her arms around him and hissed into his shoulder, "Don't you ever go off on a mission without telling me, do you hear? Never again."

Will smiled as Alyss pulled back and looked into his eyes anxiously. "I won't do it again. This was a special circumstance, it came up rather suddenly. There wasn't really anything I could have done besides leaving you that quick little note. You did get that note, right?"

"Yes, I saw it, but it hardly explained anything. Just something about how you had to go follow some Genovesan that had appeared suddenly. And that just made me more anxious, because remember last time you dealt with Genovesans? You and Halt almost died! And you didn't even tell me how long you would be gone..." Alyss scowled at him.

Will put his hand on her cheek and said softly, "I'm sorry I didn't leave sufficient information, it won't happen again. Most missions aren't that sudden."

Alyss smiled at him and put her hand over his own. "I missed you."

"I missed you too..." He trailed off as she ran her hand over his cheek.