Hide

"...and then we returned home," Will said. He was giving his report to the Baron, and the first order of business was to summarize what occurred on his mission. The Baron sat at his large desk in his study, taking extensive notes as part his own report to give to the Ranger Commandant Crowley, along with Will's written report he would receive later.

"Well, that certainly was a lucky break, that you caught those bastards before they managed to do what they had to," the Baron said. He was always interested to hear about what his Rangers did, since it was important for him to know how his Rangers performed, and they also made great stories to tell Lady Sandra, his wife.

"Yes, we were unusually lucky." Will shifted his footing, and his shoulders slumped. He had had a chance to recover a little on the way back to Redmont, but he was still tired from their last mission.

The Baron noticed and said, "Please, sit. I'll make this short."

Will shook his head and said, "It's alright, it shouldn't be too much longer. Is there anything else you need?"

"Yes, please sign here, and... here. Aaahhmm.. yes. That's it," said the Baron. Will leaned over the desk and carefully signed his name and Ranger number on the indicated lines, and turned as the door opened. It was Pauline.

"Will, are you nearly finished? Alyss and Halt should have just arrived at Jenny's now. If we hurry we can make it in 10 minutes on Tug," said Pauline. She was anxious to stop working for moment to enjoy the presence of her husband and surrogate son.

Will smiled at her and said, "Yes, that was the last thing. Did you need to grab something, or do you want to head out directly?"

"I just have to drop something off on our way down, but it shouldn't be too long. Want to join me?" Pauline asked. Will nodded. They both said goodbye to the Baron, and then Will and Pauline made their way down the stairs, and turned onto the main diplomatic floor of the castle. Pauline lead him down the corridor and turned turned inside a small office room for a moment and chatted with a young Courier. Will waited outside patiently.

BANG!

It echoed through the whole castle. Will jumped and froze. There were a few seconds of silence, and then another...

BANG!

A terrified young soldier came stumbling up the steps and, seeing Will, ran over to where Will was standing. "Ranger Will! Sir! I have a - a message from Ranger Halt and Lady Alyss! They - she said - to " BANGGGG! An even louder roaring sound echoed down the hall and the soldier stuttered to a halt in terror.

"What? What did she say?" Will grabbed the soldier's shoulders to steady him.

"She said there are at least forty riders coming up to the castle! They want the rare jewels! She said to warn you! They are shutting down the castle! Closing all the portcullises as we speak!"

The poor soldier cried out again as a massive crunching sound came from the courtyard.
Just then, Lady Pauline came out from the small office and called to Will, "Will! What's going on?"

"Hold on and I'll tell you!" Will turned back to the soldier, but he was already running back down the hallway. "Hey - hey, wait! What else did he say?"

"That's all! They're coming! Hide!" And with that vague and obvious answer, the soldier ran back down the stairs, leaving Will and Pauline alone in the hallway.