Chapter 2

Austins PoV

The girls at the animal shelter gave me such a shitty attitude yesterday. It was disgusting. I was hoping they wouldn't be there today when I pick up Echo.

She is such a gorgeous pit, and I can't imagine why she's been stuck up there for so long. I just moved in with my girlfriend Gielle and we decided to adopt a dog. She let me choose and I chose Echo. She acted disdained, because she apparently doesn't like pits but I'm not turning my back on Echo. She's too sweet.

I finished getting ready, dressing in black jeans and shoes along with a black tank top with a red plaid shirt over it. I styled my hair a bit so it wasn't all floppy and I set out.

About 20 minutes later I arrived at the shelter, walking inside to be greeted by the same two girls plus a scrawnier ginger boy.

"Hello" I said in a monotone voice as the two girls glared at me. I hadn't even done anything to them. Jesus Christ.

"Hello" said one of them boredly. The ginger boy glanced at me before whistling shortly three times. Echo came whizzing down the hall and nuzzled into his hand, licking it all over and whining softly.

"Yes baby. I love you" he cooed, a smile spreading across his face. He pet her as she frantically twisted in an attempt to continue licking his hand. Her tail was wagging vigorously as they interacted. I resisted the urge to grin simply because I was trying to act like I was still in a sour mood since I partially was.

"So. Wanna get these adoption papers done?" I said suddenly in a sugary sweet tone that absolutely dripped how fake it was.

"I'll let Alan handle that" one of the girls giggled. The other agreed quickly and the ginger boy glared at them with a sigh.

"Oh sure. Leave me with him. How cute, Jenna." He spat. Okay. So I guess he didn't like me either. Lovely.

I rolled my eyes as he walked around the desk, Echo following loyally. He handed me the papers and began guiding me through it.

"Ever owned a pit?" He asked, picking at his nails.

"Yessir." I replied kindly, trying to be as nice as possible just for the sake of being a good human. "His name was K-"

"I'm not interested in that. Any other pets?" He interrupted rudely with his snippy toned question.

"No" I growled.

"Any past felonies or misdemeanors involving the treatment, neglect, or anything of the sort of animals in the past 6 years?" He asked, looking up at me suspiciously.

"No" I smiled.

"Very well" he sighed. "A background check may be done at any time for the next two weeks, and to grant us permission for that since we are not employing you, you must sign here" he said.

I signed.

"Now read each bullet on this page and initial to show you agree with it and are willing to abide by it." He said slowly, as if I were stupid.

'The animal you are adopting will not be use for fighting, breeding, or any other activity of the likes' read the first one.

'This animal will be spayed/neutered within a month after it is of age. If it is currently of age, you have one month.' read the second.

The others that followed were very similar and I scribbled my initials next to each. ARC.

"And then read over this page and print your name here" he pointed. "And here" he pointed again. "And then sign your name here" he said, pointing again. He slid the paper back to me and it slid off of the counter and to the floor. He glanced down and then looked away, typing at the computer.

I signed quickly and handed him the paper watching him as he glanced over it.

"Why did you put your middle initial" he deadpanned. "That's stupid" he muttered.

"Yeah well. Can I take the dog now?" I snapped.

"She has a name" he snapped back.

"Yeah whatever name I decide to give to IT" I retorted, using the term it just to get under his skin.

His eyes were lit up with anger and I knew my intentions had pulled through. He led the dog from around the counter, latching the cheap shelter harness into her and clipping the leash to it before handing it to me. The dog licked his face right before he stood and as I snatched the leash, she jumped up onto him, whining.

He grabbed the sides of her face and kissed her nose delicately as she licked him again.

"God I'm gonna miss you baby" he told her softly. I don't think I was supposed to hear. "I know you don't exactly get it, because I don't speak dog" he grinned "but, I love you more than anyone will. This is your new beginning and you will be fine" he assured the dog. Watching and listening to him caused this weird feeling in my chest. "I guess this is goodbye darling" he whispered, putting his arms around her neck and stooping down. She jerked a bit and wrapped her paws around his neck, nuzzling into his hair. He laughed and stood, letting go.

"Take care of her" he said a bit nastily as he stared me down. His eyes were glossed over and I knew he was trying not to cry.

"I intend on doing so." I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever" he mumbled, turning to walk away.

"Hey" I said and he froze.

"What" he snapped rudely.

"Despite the fact that you've all been asses the entire time I've been here without reason, I can tell you care about this dog. A lot. And I'm willing to let you come visit her. Just shoot me a text, or call or whatever." I said grabbing a pen from the desk. I grabbed a sticky note nearby and scribbled down my number with all three of my initials. (on purpose) I handed it to him before turning on my heel and leaving, Echo following hesitantly behind me as we got in my car and drove home.