The secret life of sitting in a hospital, and witnessing a miracle happen

Logan

Never before had he realized how much he disliked Alexander Darkwood. Honestly, why did Park like to hang around this guy? He was arrogant, cold-hearted, unfriendly, and incredibly rude. And he remained his calm way too often.

"Had enough, Cross?" Darkwood sneered.

"You wish," Logan answered, bringing down the wooden rod. Darkwood didn't even flinch, and with one hand, he deflected it.

Coach Woods was indeed crazy. He used to sit in class sometimes and hear Park complaining about how Coach Woods was a monster and hated her. Logan used to think she was just bitter for not being a good enough student. But what kind of professor would make their students spar for fun? Sparring was difficult, especially with Alexander Darkwood.

They weren't allowed to actually hurt each other. Sadly.

What was Darkwood's problem anyway? No, why was Darkwood even here? So what if he helped Park and Jasper on the boat? So what if he gave useful information to the family? He shouldn't have been allowed a room in the Cimerian castle. He shouldn't have been granted permission to come with Park into Paradise. Not with those creepy, pale jade eyes.

Most of the class had stopped fighting and just watched with awe as he and Darkwood fought. While his classmates bumbled around, laughing as they tried to balance the heavy rods between their hands or even attempting to land a solid blow towards their partner, he and Darkwood clashed instantly.

Where had Darkwood learned to fight so well? He fought as if he had been trained. Darkwood was well-balanced and controlled, his movements swift and sharp, his attention focused and direct. Logan had never been in such equal combat for a long time. Logan had overpowered probably every one of his opponents, even the strong Six.

It made the blood in Logan's veins boil with frustration, jealousy, and anger. He would beat Darkwood no matter what. Then Park would see who was truly the strongest.

Wait, Park?

No. If he fought for attention, then it should be for Sophia's attention only. Not Park. It would be nice if the princess of Cimeria approved of his methods, but he should be fighting to impress his girlfriend.

Sophia never really understood combat and battles and missions, which was one of the reasons he enjoyed being around her. It was a break from his guns-and-knives life. He remembered when she first walked through the doors of the New York City base for XYZ. Six had brought her along, merely because her parents were away and he couldn't leave her home. Thirteen was Logan's age when he set eyes on one of the prettiest girls he ever met.

She looked so innocent and so scared. So different from her brother, who was hardened to the core. Six was abnormally harsh with her, reprimanding Sophia for every little mistake she did. Sophia always quailed under her brother's multi-colored gaze. And something inside Logan panged for her.

She was timid and silent, afraid of any agents coming by her. It took him weeks, but finally, one day, Sophia talked to Logan. She talked about normal stuff, about school, life in the city, her hometown back in England, and...girl stuff. It felt nice sitting by her, listening to her giggle about the cutest things.

Whenever he tried to forget about Park, he thought of sitting on the benches in New York City with Sophia, entertaining her with normal conversations. He had never snapped at the blue-eyed angel in his life. It upset him whenever Park would lash out at her. Sophia was a damaged girl, afraid of her own brother, even her own parents. She had been spoiled all her life. She didn't know how to make friends properly, or how to share.

Darkwood suddenly dropped his rod and Logan couldn't stop himself in time. The stick slammed into Darkwood's chest, and the raven-haired boy fell to his knees, gasping for air. But when he looked up, he wasn't glaring at Logan; he was staring past Logan.