Throwing Reputation Out the Window and Filters Down the Drain

A/N: Ok so I haven't updated in like 10 months, and I'm really sorry about that. The main reason is because I have been becoming more involved in anime fandoms, which you can see by visiting my second wattpad account if you are interested (@Virason ). However, I would like to continue this story, as I am now back and active on this account. Thank you for anyone who is still here and reading this haha :) I do believe my writing style may have changed a bit, but I'm not too sure. :) Enjoy~

Chapter 4: Throwing Reputation Out the Window & Filters Down the Drain

As District 1, Glimmer and I are the first to appear in front of the capital people. Everyone screams loudly and cheers, tossing roses and glitter. Not that I need anymore, because I'm positive my outfit is covered with enough glitter to out-glitter or out-shine anyone else.

Dressed in my absolutely ridiculous pink outfit, I force a smile (which I'm very good at, if I do say so myself), and wave, feigning an enthusiastic, optimistic attitude. I feel Glimmer's right hand clench so tightly onto my forearm that I swear her nails are going to draw some blood. They're definitely making some deep indents, that's for sure. I make a mental reminder to demand some compensation for the injuries later.

Being from district 1, none of the fancy decorations or the glamor is particularly unique and overwhelming. No, even our justice building, which is not as fancy as many of the private mansions, is well decorated, almost reaching capital level. The crowd doesn't particularly scare me either. Wait, I mean nothing scares me. The crowd doesn't overwhelm or surprise me.

When I tilt my head to the right just a bit, I can see, out of my peripheral vision, how some of the other tributes from poorer districts look terrified. They seem to be frozen in place, shocked by the capital's cheers and antics. Oh well, their loss. It's not like they'll have any need for the sponsors anyways, they didn't have that great of a chance to begin with.

Shit, the glitter is starting to itch as it drifts down my neckline. I resist the urge to scratch or even grimace, masking both with a bright cheery smile. Suddenly, none of the attention is on us anymore. Immediately, Glimmer's hand clenches harder, her obnoxiously long nails digging deeper into my skin.

No one is watching. I quickly lean my head down a bit and hiss, "Stop that hurts!".

She looks up, bright blue eyes accusing and upset. "What do we do, Marvel? They're getting all the attention!"

I look up at the screens and immediately know why. Now I almost regret turning off the reapings replay before it reached district 12. Although, in my defence, they rarely ever have had any good tributes anyways. And with only one victor, who I've heard is drunk off his ass, they don't have a good track record either.

But anyways. I can't deny it. The two tributes on the screen look amazing. Well, actually I just think the girl looks amazing, because the guy kinda looks like a lost puppy. But we'll pretend he looks decent. They're on fire. Literally. I can see the flames shooting and dancing off of their bodies as they both smile and wave. Other people might not be able to tell, but I'm from district one. I excel in perception and cold reading tactics. It's overwhelmingly obvious just how fake the girl's smile is. I can't get everything by looking at her through a screen, but behind her smile, I can read swirls of emotions: anxiety, fear, sadness.... and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there's a spark of something else there as well. Anger? No, there is some anger, but that's not the spark. I blink.

Whatever. If you needa know that badly, Marvel, you can always try again later during the interviews when you watch her...

"Marvel you're zoning out again." It's Glimmer. Of course it's Glimmer.