Chapter One

'I had a dream about a burning house. You were stuck inside I couldn't get you out. I laid beside you and pulled you close, and the two of us went up in smoke'

Maura smiled at her fiancé as she watched her ever so gently pluck the strings on her old Brazilian Rosewood guitar and sing the words with her deep husky voice. Jane's voice was heaven. Maura always asked her to sing for her, and this song, well this song touched her like no other. Especially when Jane played it too. She watched as the Italian sat with her legs slightly apart resting the red wood on her long thigh.

'Love isn't all that it seems I did you wrong. I'll stay here with you until this dream is gone.
I've been sleep walking, wondering all night, trying to take what's lost and broke and make it right.'

Jane and Maura had been just over two years and Angela had nagged and nagged at Jane to buy a ring and propose to the doctor, and when Jane finally did there were cheers from everywhere. Celebrations and all sorts. Maura had immediately said yes to marrying the Italian when she dropped to one knee under the moon and pulled a black velvet box from her pocket revealing a 6 carot gold diamond.

'I'm not good at this, but I love you, And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Maura Isles, will you marry me?'

Maura smiled at the memory that isn't so old. It was only three months ago she was asked. It still felt fresh like it was yesterday. She honestly couldn't wait to plan things with Angela and marry her daughter, but everyone knew with the case going on at the moment a wedding wouldn't be coming along so soon.

There had been a trail of murders all over Boston, one suspect. Maura had examined every body that had been handed to the BPD homicide unit and found the same things. Cut throat and sexual assult all died mostly 24 hours before she would examine them. Jane had felt she was on the tail of this murdered because the bodies were being found sooner and sooner but the clues just weren't adding up for the Italian and her team of detectives.
She had spend late nights in bed with Maura going over and over all the evidence and autopsy reports and ending up with nothing. All she knew was this guy was a professional and it would take a lot to being him down.

'Okay, that's enough of that' Jane sighed with a shy smile and she placed the guitar beside her leaning against the armchair she was perched in.

'You're fantastic' Maura smiled standing from her chair and approaching the Italian who opened her arms welcoming her fiancé into her lap.