Turmoil

I stared at Rachel as she shook herself out of her trance. She blinked a couple of times, and then flashed a grin my way.

"Another prophecy, huh?" She asked cheerfully.

Dully, I nodded. The eight betrayed, I thought. That had to be the eight of us in Alpha Force.

"What was it? I never remember what the prophecies are." Rachel continued on, not noticing my despairing look.
"We should probably go tell Chiron, right?"

Monotonously, I told her.

Eight betrayed must find answers for what shall be sought;
A scepter to wield, or a war to be fought;
Answers are found in the land without Order;
The quest led by those with yet to cross the border;
Inside the dark hall, three challenges complete
Will bestow unto those the power: defeat.
The loss of brave Two will salvage the Third;
The low cries of death will surely be heard.

Rachel's eyebrows shot up. "Huh. I have absolutely no idea what any of that means."

Vacantly, I half-smiled back at her, and explained, "I think the 'eight betrayed' must mean the Alpha Force. Obviously, the land without Order is the land of Chaos. So we'll have to return to his realm." I continued on my musings, not realizing exactly what I'd said.

"Excuse me?" Rachel interrupted. "The land of Chaos? What? Explain yourself, Perseus Jackson!"

"Oh, right," I admonished sheepishly. "There are two realms that exist -- our world, the realm of Order, and the balancing world that coexists with our own. It's ruled by Lord Chaos, the primordial who saved me from death. In Order's realm, he only dispenses magic to a few; gods and Titans, and even some mortals like you. But in Lord Chaos's realm, magic is free, abundant, and used only for the peace, safety, and happiness of all. Anyone who is welcomed to the realm of Chaos -- which is only a handful of people, really -- has the power to use the chaotic magic. However, the realms depend on each other for survival. If one were to crash out of the balance, it's twin realm would collapse as well."

Rachel's mouth formed a tiny 'O'. "Yeah, but what's that got to do with the prophecy?"

Grimly, I said, "I'll explain that when I tell everyone."

"At dinner tonight?"

I could only nod, the last two lines hovering over me, promising death, fury, and uncontrollable fear.

-

I stood in the high arching foyer of the Chaos cabin, the seven other members of the Alpha Force army waiting in a half-circle across from me. Immediately after leaving Rachel's cave, I had sent a message to them, interrupting them from training. Fortunately, Silena, Luke, and Beckendorf had arisen from their own sleep delivered specially by our good friend Order, just in time for me to fill everyone in.

Solemnly, I told them of the prophecy Rachel had issued, and my plans to tell the Greek and Roman campers. Order's ultimatum still lurked in the back of my mind, but I forced it out of thought, and out of discussion. Alpha Force seemed to understand my lack of desire to speak of it, and they, too, moulded the conversation to avoid his final threat.

"The eight betrayed has to be us," I pressed. "And the land without Order? Chaos."

"Thy Oracle's prophecy spoke of the threat Order has issued; give him Annabeth and the Scepter of Mortality or receive war. Is our decision to be made clear through these 'answers' that will be found in Lord Chaos's realm?" Zoë reflected, her lithe fingers dancing up and down the silver-stringed bow, formed of Chaotic Titanium, like my own Triteia.