Fight

Any sounds from the watching campers halted in anticipation as Troy and I charged each other, our weapons anxious to meet. Drawing my wings in, I could feel the low hum of Triteia and Aquisis as they yearned for revenge, for havoc to wreck upon the one who deserved it most. Troy swung first, his blade snapping at me, but missed entirely. I chuckled lowly, and chose not to end this fight early. Let him see everything I've got. Give him some hope, and then crush it in cold blood.

Our intricate dance began, and I dawned the role of the mouse, and Troy the cat. We scampered around the arena, him chasing after me, the little rodent always out of reach. My defensive position made him laugh as he pressed forward. "Too weak to fight back?"

At those words, I decided it was time to have some more fun. Unexpectedly, I lunged back at the boy, bringing both blades down on either side of him. They didn't touch him, oh no, but at the mere threat Troy screamed, dropping his shield. Scoffing, I kicked his vulnerable chest, sending him straight onto his butt. From this position, he would be defeated within seconds. However, I lay back, to allow him some time to recuperate, snatch his fallen shield, and stand up, no matter how crumpled his ego may be.

I frowned when he did none of that. Instead, he only rolled away from me, leaving his shield behind. Kneeling, he grit his teeth in concentration. Concentration on what?

Percy--

Behind you--

Watch out!

I had time only to turn before an immense wave of crashing water washed over me, sending me across the arena. Anyone else would have been drowned immediately, but I grinned as the water rejuvenated me, power coursing through my veins. Troy must have summoned water from the river running through the forest. As the water died down, leaving little puddles everywhere, I rose. Troy stood on the opposite side of the arena, but not far enough away that I couldn't see his eyebrows rise in surprise, stumbling backwards.

Stalking towards him, I sheathed Aquisis and Triteia once more. Now, this was a show of powers. Holding my hands out, palms facing upwards, I reigned control of the water. The puddles rose up, combining to form a massive, floating ball of liquid, restless and thirsty for a fight. The crowd gasped in awe. I sent the ball flying towards Troy, fully expecting him to catch it. He did, laughing. "That trick's not going to work on me!"

"That's not the trick," I muttered. While he'd been distracted by the ball, I'd taken control of the earth surrounding him -- one of the elements under my domain. Cracks in the earth formed, separating the area around him from the rest of the ground. The stone crumbled to dust, leaving him on a wobbling island, too far away from the closest piece of earth to jump. But, I guess Troy just didn't understand how distance and gravity works, for he jumped.

And missed.

Screaming, Troy just barely latched onto the ridge of the solid ground. "Fool," I hissed, sprinting across the arena. Right before his fingers slipped off the cliff's edge, I grabbed his sweaty hand. A moment passed, as I stared at the boy dangling below me, thinking of how easy it would be to just let go, drop him, let him fall to who-knows-where; revenge for everything he did to me. Pain racked through my body as the old scars from my past throbbed violently -- the X across my chest and the ugly line from Piper's fatal stab reminding me of all of the horrible things he and so many others had done to me.

Percy, Hazel whispered in my mind, no. Please.

But I had already made up my mind.