Chapter 8

Kiss With A Fist

Chapter 8

I had been fired.

Unbelievable.

"But Helen! Please, you can't do this to me." I tried to convince her, nearly begging her, but she wouldn't be swayed.

"I'm sorry Levi, but I can't let you work here. If anyone found out, I would lose my job. I can't do that to my family. I'm sorry." She shot me a pleading look, one that begged me to understand.

And I did. I understood, and I wouldn't hold it against her, but that still didn't change my situation. "Here's this month's paycheck. It's been a pleasure having you here. You are dismissed." And with that, I was dismissed. I got up and gave her a tentative hug before leaving.

-•@•-

"You're home early." Jason said as I walked in. I grimaced, not wanting to break the news to him.

"Umm, yeah. They didn't really need me today," I replied evasively. Jason gave me a look, one that said that he wasn't buying it.

"You got fired didn't you?" I ducked my head, nodding nearly imperceptibly. "How?" When I didn't answer, he frowned. "Levi," he sighed, "how did you manage to get fired?" I sighed.

"Helen /somehow/ got tipped off that I was underage. So she fired me."

"Who told her?"

"I don't know. But I guess I deserved it."

"How did you deserve getting fired?" Jason asked me incredulously.

"I lied to her. I shouldn't have lied, but then again, I had no choice."

"Lwee! You'we home!" Theo cried out, hugging my legs which made me nearly topple over.

"Hey little buddy, where's Jay?" I asked, ruffling his hair.

"He's behind you." I turned, but there was only Jason.

"Not Jason. Jay."

"Behind you," he sighed, pointing behind me at Jason.

"No, Theo, where's Jayden?"

"Oh, /Jade/ is sleeping." He was /still/ sleeping?

"No, Jade is right 'ere." I squeaked, nearly jumping out of my skin.

"Jeez Louise! Jay, you scared the patooties out of me!" I cried out indignantly.

"Jeez Louise? Patooties?" he smirked. "Where do you even get this stuff from?"

"Nice to see that /someone/ is in a good mood." I replied grumpily, completely ignoring his question. "How's the fever?" I added as an afterthought.

"Better, but my 'ead is killing me. A cup of coffee would be nice." he looked at me expectantly. I sighed.

"Okay, coffee it is. I know I could use some-Hey, wait a minute! Jason, aren't you supposed to be in detention?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Uh, yeah, but the teacher had to go take care of his, um, sick kid so we got out early." He replied hurriedly. Something in his tone was kind of off, but I was too miserable about being fired to actually pay attention.

"Oh," was all I said.

-•@•-

"Listen Levi, we need to talk." Jayden said to me that night. His tone meant serious business. And seeing as how he chose to talk when Theo and Jason were both asleep, just reinforced that notion.

Serious talk was not good.

Seriously not good. (Pun intended.)

"But you're already talking to me," I joked, trying to lighten the mood.