Chapter Eight - Coffee and Crushes

"I'm like, over love. Crush, smush. I can't. I'm giving up on love at this point. I'm hoping for a crush. Actually, no. I don't want a crush. I want someone to crush on me." - Xosha Roquemore

*Spencer Reid*

I woke up the next morning on the couch to see the sunlight shining through the living room window. After I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, I looked down to see Viv sound asleep with her head in my lap. The television was looping through the main menu of the Doctor Who DVD, so I got up slowly so I wouldn't wake Viv, and turned it off. I remembered that we had put in the movie after we had finished eating, but we must've fallen asleep about halfway through.

I heard Viv yawn and groan a little from the couch.  "Spence?" I felt the color rise to my cheeks. Nobody called me "Spence" except for JJ, but it felt different when it came from Viv. It was almost...endearing in a romantic kind of way. I shoved my hands in my pockets and turned around to face her, praying that she wouldn't notice how much I was blushing.

"Good morning to you too," I said. Viv rubbed her eyes and sat up. I had given her one of my sweaters to wear because she said she was cold. It was big on her and the sleeves went over her hands, but she still looked beautiful.

"Geez, what time is it?" she asked and I glanced at my watch.

"It's almost nine," I replied. "Do you want to go get some coffee? There's a shop just around the corner." She stood up, grabbed my arm, and started heading towards the door.

"Only if you're buying, Einstein," she said jokingly.

I had to keep telling myself that this wasn't a date to keep myself calm. All this was was two friends going to get coffee in the morning, it was nothing more. Yeah, that's all that it was. There's no way this was a date.

"Yo earth to, Reid. It's our turn," Viv said, tapping my shoulder. I was zoning out while we were in line, and hadn't noticed that we were now at the front.

"Oh, sorry." We walked up to the register.

"What can I get for you two today?" the cashier asked.

"One espresso and one mocha, please," I responded. Once we had gotten our coffee, we sat down at a table next to a window.

"When was the last time the BAU had an actual weekend off?" Viv asked. I shrugged.

"It depends. Not in a few months actually. We're called in so often that we don't get a lot of time to ourselves."

"I would actually love to go back home just to fill in my family about my new life," she said, resting her head on her fist. "I haven't really talked to them since I moved."

"Why don't you just give them a call?" I asked, taking a sip from my cup. Viv scrunched her nose a little bit.

"I love my family, but they can get a bit nosy sometimes. Whenever I visit them, it's always, 'How's work? Who's your cutest coworker? Do you have a boyfriend yet?' It gets annoying after a while," she replied. "It's like they're more interested in my love life than I am, which is kind of sad."

"So...are you interested in anybody right now?" She raised an eyebrow at me, and I looked away. "Dammit, Reid, not the right thing to ask,"  I thought to myself.

"Well...there is this one guy..." she started off. "I just get a lot of mixed signals from him." My eyes widened and I looked up at her. "I just...I don't know." 

"Maybe, you should let this guy know that you're interested," I replied. Viv looked down at her coffee cup and stirred her drink slowly with her spoon.