Chapter 1

I couldn't help but listen as my best friend began his three stages of depression. First, he sat on my couch sobbing, then he kicked the wall a few times, and finally, he accepted fate of going blind.
Isaac Anderson had the pleasure of being told his bad eye was going to be taken out and he would possibly become blind.
Isaac also had a VERY pretty girlfriend, Monica, who wasn't very helpful in this situation. She would just tell him to stay strong and end with an occasional 'always'. Their 'always' was like they will always love each other and whatnot. Monica doesn't really see Isaac unless they're at the support group that Isaac goes to, and also invited me to.
I was hesitant into going to this support group, because what would I possibly be able to get out of it? Isaac seemed really into it, but it looked kind of lame. But I had finally decided that Isaac is my friend and I need to support him though his crazy ideas and whatnot.
I didn't really think I was
a bad driver until my best friend told me the truth: I was a horrible driver. I mean, sure I had failed my drivers test a few times, but the instructors weren't even paying attention to me! They kept on looking at a piece of paper and writing on it. I drove Isaac to the support group and he held onto the handle bar for dear life. Yeah, I was going 60 mph when the speed limit was 25, but whatever. I haven't killed any squirrels recently!
Once we got to the church basement, Isaac had already walked into the basement and I was in the car, searching for my phone. Isaac had already walked in so I couldn't have him call me. I went through the whole car and I'm sure I looked pretty weird doing it. As I was just about to give up, a lady stopped me. She was tall, and had blonde wavy hair and a welcoming smile.
"Looking for something?" she smiled as she handed me my phone. I gave her a strange look; how did she know where my phone was? She read my mind. " It fell on the ground," she shrugged. I was just about to leave when walked next to me.
"I need a favor," she revealed. I nodded. "I will pay you if you befriend my lonely daughter, Hazel. She keeps on reading the same book over and over and the doctor says she is depressed so I came here, hoping to find a handsome teen to be nice to Hazel," she explained, talking about more things relating to Hazel.
Well, I didn't know what to do. I guess I could use a little more cash to get some more cigarettes since I don't have a job or anything. I usually have to beg my parents to give me money. They think my idea of fake smoking is clever, so I would become their maid and do chores in order to get paid.
I shook her hand. "It's a deal. My name is Augustus, but call me Gus," I accepted. "My name is Frannie Lancaster," she said, handing me a handful of money. I shoved it in my pocket and listened as Frannie described Hazel and how to act. We said our goodbyes, then I started walking into the church basement, unintentionally bumping into a girl. I looked at her facial features and she looked exactly as Frannie described Hazel. "Sorry," she said. I smiled. "It's okay," I said. I kept on staring at her. I don't really know why. She was kind of pretty. Okay, she was really pretty. I kept walking, still staring at Hazel until I bumped into a door. I stifled a laugh, opening the door and walking through.
     I decided to sit across from Hazel since I was ordered by Frannie to sit somewhere near Hazel. I decided to stare at her, not blinking. She noticed me, and started staring back. I smiled, she likes me I thought.
I sighed as Patrick started singing after telling his life story with his cancer that was in his balls. "Christ is our friend and he'll be there till the end" Patrick sang loudly with his out-of-tune guitar. I felt the sudden urge to pull out my phone and play a game or text somebody or do anything but listen to Patrick sing, but I knew that was rude so I fought the urge.
As soon as his mini concert was over, everyone started clapping because I'm pretty sure they were glad it was over.
When Support Group finally ended, I stood outside the basement and waited for Hazel to come out like I was told.
She came out and we both awkwardly stared at Isaac who was intensely kissing his girlfriend. They took 2 second pauses every once in a while from kissing to say their special 'always' . "I like it when you say it," Isaac said. "No I like it when you say it first," Monica giggled. Isaac paused, smiling. "Always," he said and Monica repeated and they continued making out.
"What's with the whole always thing?" Hazel asked. Small talk, just like I expected. Perfect. "They will always love each other, whatnot. I bet they texted that to each other about five billion times," I remarked.
Isaac started squeezing Monica's boob as they were kissing. "That's gotta be hurting her boob," Hazel murmured, sounding disgusted, making me laugh. "Hey, why don't we see a movie?" I asked. She had a crazy look on her face as if I have 4 eyes. "For all I know you could be an ax murderer," she replied. "Okay, I promise I'm not an ax murderer," I promised, sticking a cigarette in my mouth. "I don't know, it's just you're a random stranger and..." Hazel noticed me, staring at my cigarette with a harsh look on her face. She looked pissed off. "Seriously? A cigarette? And you were doing really good," she continued to nag me about how you shouldn't smoke and how not having working lungs sucked, and I just smiled. "Hazel Grace, it doesn't actually hurt you unless you light it," I explained. "Huh?" she questioned. "It's a metaphor. You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do it's killing. A metaphor," I grinned, knowing I had outsmarted her. Hazel smiled, obviously relieved.
A car beeped, and Frannie waved at Hazel. "Time to go, honey!" Hazel looked at me, hardly contemplating what to do. "Actually mom, I'm gonna hang out with my new friend today!" Frannie winked at me. Our plan was working. Hazel was falling for me already.
We got in my car and she mentioned how my driving sucks, like everyone does. I told her the story of my drivers license, how I failed my first two driving tests, and on my third one they let me pass; an obvious cancer perk. Hazel started talking about her life story once I asked her, and I kind of zoned out. In the midst of Hazel talking about her boring ass life, I accidentally hit a garbage can.
When we got to my house, we went downstairs after Hazel met my parents. Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, she was pretty much gasping for air. She sat down on my couch (I would like to mention that she sat down WITHOUT PERMISSION, getting her cancer germs all over my clean couch) for a minute, trying to calm her breathing, and she then started talking about her favorite book, which sounded like crap, and said I should read this horrible book which didn't have zombies, nor blood, just cancer. As if having cancer isn't enough, I am being forced to read a book ABOUT cancer! But I was getting paid, so I think it was worth it. Her book didn't even have stormtroopers in it! I was so disappointed. But once she started practically begging me to read it, I agreed to read her book if she read my amazing book.
When she left, I started reading her book. I didn't like it. I refused to call or text her until I finished it; call it karma. And I read very slowly. The author, Peter Van Houten, his words were crap! I couldn't even understand half of what he said! When I got to the end, I was really confused. I think Hazel ripped out a few pages at the end of the book or something because the book ended in a sentence.
I texted Hazel about this situation, and I got no reply. I texted her a few more times and then she finally answered. She admitted how reading that book was torture, but that's why she loved it. I wasn't really interested in the book, but if I was getting paid I thought I should act like I was obsessed with it.
I got a text message and it wasn't from Hazel. I logged into my phone and read the text. 'Hey Gus! It's Frannie. I know it's a lot to ask for, but later in your relationship you should use your dying wish for you and Hazel. I will pay you a lot. :)'
Oh god. I was supposed to use my dying wish for a girl who used hers for something as useless as going to Disney! I need the money though. I guess I had to do it. I would tell her later. I had a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Hey everybody! This is my first chapter and I hope you liked it!! Don't forget to FAN, VOTE AND COMMENT!