Fourteen: This Is the Way the World Ends

"This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang but a whimper."'
~T. S. Elliot

John

Like I said earlier, it was only a matter of time before someone found out.

We were walking back through the large double doors of building B at Baker Street. It was late; almost curfew, which was 11. Seeing no one around, (unable to resist) I reached down and grabbed Sherlock's hand. It was such an innocent gesture...

Until Donovan and Anderson stalked around the corner. Suddenly my innocent gesture felt like I had committed some horrible crime.

Sherlock shrunk away, knowing just what these two were capable of. I, on the other hand, stood forward, determined to prevent them from getting to us.

"Ah, look who it is..." Sally drawled, her nose scrunched in distaste. "The fags. Caught in the act, aren't you?"

Anderson sneered at us. "Disgusting, the two of you. What a disgrace."

Their words made me see red. I clenched my teeth and gripped Sherlock's hand to keep me from charging them. "Look here, you," I spat, "what we do is none of your business. Besides, what are you even doing here with Anderson, Sally? Phillip, don't you have a girlfriend?"

Sherlock spoke up from behind me. "How long is she away, again?"

"Oh, don’t pretend you worked that out. Somebody told you that," Anderson claimed.

"Your deodorant told me that." Sherlock stepped forward, standing directly in front of Phillip.

"My deodorant?"

"It’s for men," Sherlock explained.

"Well, of course it’s for men! I’m wearing it!" Anderson looked at Sherlock like he was stupid.

"So’s Donovan." Anderson looked round in shock at Donovan. Sherlock sniffed pointedly. "Ooh, and I think it just vaporised. May we go in?"

Anderson looked like a deer in the headlights. "Now look: whatever you’re trying to imply..."

"I’m not implying anything." He headed past Donovan towards the stairs. "I’m sure Sally came round for a nice little chat, and just happened to stay over." He turned back. "And I assume she scrubbed your floors, going by the state of her knees."

Anderson and Donovan stared at him in horror. He smiled smugly, then turned and slipped up the first few stairs. I walked past Sally, glancing pointedly at her knees before following Sherlock. We made it to the second floor before our laughter rung through the halls. "Did you see the look on her face?!" I managed between laughs.

"I thought Anderson was going to pass out!" Sherlock exclaimed. "He just stood there like:" he immitated Anderson's face, eyes wide, mouth open in a look of horror. This only made me laugh harder.

I leaned over and kissed him while we were still chuckling, which only made matters worse because we were smiling against each other's lips. He giggled, a small laugh escaping him, and we broke down again.

After our laughter had died down and we made it back to our dorm, I realized something. "Sherlock... They know now. About us. The word will get out, especially now that they want revenge for embarrassing them. Are we ready to come out?"

Sherlock looked thoughtful. "Well, I'm ready. Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of hiding it. I've pushed away and hid my emotions for all of 11 years, and now that I've found you, I want to show you off." Hee smiled at me. "If that's okay with you?"