Trying to be Perfect

A/N This was a practice narrative I did! Hope you guys like it :D Feedback much appreciated! 

Trying to be perfect  

She straightened her apron and tied her hair into a messy ponytail before walking into the kitchen. The kettle whistled angrily at her as brought out the ingredients needed for her meal. Sighing, she looked outside at the dark night sky. The stars twinkled happily at her with a feeling of joy. She glanced down unhappily at the chopping board in front of her before the sound of knife meeting board echoed around the quiet room.  

She knew. It was always the same. He would come home demanding his food to be placed in front of him. The harsh tone of his voice forever remained in her head. She didn't want to. She didn't like it but she had to. She had to do it. It was society's expectation. The perfect housewife who stays at home cooking, cleaning and looking after the children.  

She winced as a sharp, familiar pain ran up her arm. She looked down to see crimson blood flowing out her pale finger, pooling at the edge of the board. Putting the knife down she quickly bandaged up her finger, as usual, before tiredly going back to work.  

"Charlotte! Where's my food?" He called angrily as he stormed into the room. She sighed before picking up his plate and taking it to him as duty called her. She placed it in front of him before gathering up her own plate and sitting down herself. The table was covered in a dark table cloth and nestled in the middle of the table was a couple of white roses with a bottle of dark red wine next to them and two wine glasses sitting next to it.  

The tension in the room was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. They ate in silence as their lack of words settled over them like a thick mist. The dismal chime of the grandfather clock in the hallway could be heard as they slowly cut away at the succulent meat and vegetables. The room was covered by the flickering glow of the old light bulb, both their faces darkened slightly.  

"Well, what are you waiting for? An invitation?" he spat out, gesturing roughly at the wine bottle.  

She shook her head timidly, reaching over and carefully pouring a generous amount of wine into the shiny glasses. She placed the bottle back onto the table. The bottle tipped, the red wine pouring and showering over the pure, white roses, the white turning to red.  

He glanced up at her, a sign of fury in his eyes. She watched anxiously as his eyes narrowed to slits.  

"I'm sorry," she mumbled quietly yet pleadingly.  

"What did I do to deserve such a hopeless wife?" he exclaimed, pushing his chair out of the way and angrily walking upstairs to his room. They no longer had the same room but instead slept in separate rooms as if they were brother and sister rather than husband and wife.  

She got up from her chair, cleaned up the mess before walking into the living room. Glancing up at the mantle above the fireplace she saw frames bursting with colour.  

One frame held the picture of a young woman, her long golden brown hair cascading down her back. A long floral dress shaped her body. She was the picture of happiness. Next to her, a young man, his short dark hai nicely trimmed and his suit finely crafted. His smile reached his eyes, lighting up the frame He was the picture of happiness. They were the picture of happiness.  

She could remember that day as if it was yesterday. The smell of the freshly mowed grass, the sun hitting their faces causing warmth to spread through their bodies and the laughing, smiling and joking with each other. The picnic, the talking, the watching of the clouds. The day was full of laughs, full of smiles, full of happiness with not one bit of silence.  

She glanced over at the next frame, smiling slightly at the memory. The frame was occupied by an even younger man and woman. The man, once again had his dark hair nicely trimmed and his suit, once again fit him perfectly. This time however, his arm was wound around the woman's waist, protecting her and guarding her. He looked down at the woman as if she was the only person in the world. His love for her was so evident, it was practically written on his face. The woman was dressed in a long white wedding gown, her hair up in a bun with delicate curls framing her delicate face. She looked up at the man, smiling widely. Her face glowed with love and happiness as they looked at each other. They were the very picture of love.  

She looked down at her ring finger, gently twisting the thin band around her finger until the words etched in the bottom of the ring appear.  

"Forever and ever," she read out quietly.  

Sighing sadly she glanced over at the final picture on the mantle. The same man and woman, the same stance but different expression. The man's face was stone cold, void of any emotion. Although a smile was evident on his face, the smile didn't reach his eyes. It didn't even reach halfway there. His arm, although around the woman was stiff and rather than protecting her, it was as if he was hurting her. The woman smiled gently however the love in her eyes was gone. The happiness that was there in the first photos was gone. Instead of looking at the man with love, it seemed to be more of sadness. The love and happiness evident in the first two photos had completely disappeared.  

She looked up again at the dark sky. The stars seemed to be inviting her. They twinkled happily at her, teasing her. She glanced over at the stairs which invited her up to her room. She sighed before getting off the couch, taking off the apron and heading up the stairs.  

Pulling out the little money and clothes she had, she grabbed a bag, put them in carefully and walked out her room. Looking down the stairs, she inhaled and then walked down the stairs towards the living room, her light footsteps not making a sound. Once there, she stood at the door, her hand delicately holding the door handle. She turned the knob quietly, and then opened the door. Glancing out, she saw the stars winking as if to tell her to do it. Pulling her bag closer to her, she took one step out the door and then another one. She looked back only once, and knew then that she could never, ever return. She didn't want to return. For once she wanted to control her life. Not society, not her husband and not her gender. She wanted to control her life.  

Closing the door behind her, she smiled happily, the smile reaching her eyes. She let her hair out, the golden brown waves cascading down her back. She looked down at her dress, the long floral material flowing around her legs. She looked up again at the stars. They smiled at her and finally she shared that same happiness. The happiness that came from control of her life, the happiness of living life the way she wanted and finally the happiness that came from finally being free.  

A/N well hope you guys liked this!!! Please let me know what you think! Thank you :)