Surprise

Exercise 17 - Surprise  

"Who didn't do their homework?" the teacher asked. Everyone raised their hand except me. Of course I did my homework. Even if it wasn't very good I still did it. The teacher sighed .  

"Ok. That's a detention for all of you except Catherine. You can go, Catherine." I smiled and got out of my seat while everyone else groaned.  

"Of course Catherine doesn't have detention." someone muttered as I walked out of the classroom. You see, my detention record... didn't exist. I was always at school on time, I always did my homework, I was never rude to teachers, never swore, never bullied... you get the idea. I guess I was what you called a goody two shoes or simply a good girl.  

Anyways, I walked out towards the school gate and quickly ran to get into the bus sliding my ticket into the machine as everyone else pushed past me. Once there was room for me to move away from the machine, I walked up to a seat and sat down in an empty seat.  

"Hey Catherine. You free this weekend? I'm having a party. Do you want to come?" Rita, a girl from my grade asked me.  

"Um. Yeah I'd love to come but I have to ask my parents." I said.  

"Ok. Here's the details." she said, handing me a slip of paper with the details on it. Once I got home, I asked my parents who, after giving me a long lecture, agreed to let me go.  

I headed off to the party in a pair of jeans and a simple t-shirt, nothing too revealing and quite sensible. When I walked into the venue, Rita found me instantly and pulled me with her.  

"Ok. So there are food and drinks in the kitchen, dance floor in the living room, bathroom's down the hallway and to your left. Got it?" she said.  

"Yep. Thanks for the invite." I said politely to her.  

"No worries. Now I've got to scoot but have fun!" she said, before running off. I looked around at the people before deciding to grab some food and then find someone to talk to. I got some snacks and was just about to leave the kitchen when someone stopped me.  

"Do you want a drink?" he asked me.  

"No, thank you." I said, trying to get past him. 

"Come on. Just one drink." he whispered into my ear.  

"No, I'm fine." I said, continuing to try and push past him.  

"Come on. Let loose a little and have some fun." he said. It's only one night, I thought to myself. It's only one drink. I took the cup out of his hand and nodded before he finally let me pass.  

I sipped the drink slowly until I'd finished the drink. Sighing sadly as I looked at the bottom of the empty cup, I headed over to the kitchen swaying a little until I made it there and grabbed another drink. Later in the night, after about 3 or 4 drinks, I walked over to the kitchen to grab yet another drink.  

"Jeez, Catherine. You're completely drunk!" Rita... well I think it was Rita, said.  

"No I'm not." I insisted, my words slurred. "I can't be. I'm a good girl." I said tripping over my words.  

"Looks like good girl's gone bad." I think I heard her say.