Chapter 5

(Light smut & abuse warning)
Kayla's P.O.V.

I tried to make conservation with Ethan on the way to... wherever we were going, but he was being really distant and quiet.
My phone buzzed and I looked at the screen. It was a text from Gerard. "Kayla come back home. Please."
I shot a quick text back. "No."
After a few moments I got a call from him. I clicked Ignore. I wanted him to know that I didn't care what he had to say. Does that make me a bad person? I got another call from him. I ignored it again. When I looked up, the car was pulling into Ethan's driveway. "I thought we were going out?"
"I decided we would stay in tonight."
"Oh okay." I got out of the car and pushed the door shut. Ethan walked into the house and I followed him. After I entered the house he closed the door behind me and pushed me against the wall. His lips pressed onto mine and he ran his tongue along my bottom lip. His tongue snaked into my mouth.
I suddenly remembered Gerard's text, asking me to come home. I shook the thought from my mind, I should be thinking about Ethan, not Gerard's nagging.
Ethan began to take his clothes off, not breaking the kiss. I took my jacket off and tossed it to the floor. Ethan pulled my shirt over my head and unhooked my bra. He dropped them both on the floor.
When he pulled my pants off I remembered Gerard coming home late last night.
Ethan wrapped my legs around his waist and carried me to the couch. He lowered me down and penetrated me.
I thought of waking up to Gerard in my face on my birthday.
Ethan roughly pumped in and out of me.
I thought of Gerard comforting me when I'm sad.
Ethan grunted with each pump.
I thought of Gerard's voice.
Ethan began going faster. He was close.
I thought of Gerard's smile.
Ethan pulled out before releasing on the couch.
I thought of Gerard.
I pushed myself away from Ethan. "You okay?"
After a long moment of thought and hesitation, I said "I think we should see other people."
"What the fuck do you mean?"
I decided not to tell him. "I... I don't think I deserve you." It's not a complete lie.
"Damn right you don't deserve me! You cheat on me and then when I decide to forgive you, you fucking break up with me?" He stood up, towering over me. I held my knees close to my chest and avoided eye contact. "What the fuck is your problem?"
"Well it's just-" I began. He cut me off with a punch to the eye.
"Get the fuck out of my house!"
"I'm sorry," I said. He slapped me. He clutched my arm with a vice grip and threw me to the floor.
He ran upstairs. I put on my clothes and walked outside, holding my eye. I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I called Gerard.
"Hello?"
It felt so good to hear his voice.
"Hey, Gee."
"What's up? Aren't you supposed to be on your romantic makeup date with Ethan?" He sounded drunk.
"Yeah, about that... actually never mind. Can you come pick me up?"
"Sure. Where are you?" I heard voices behind him. Sounded like Frank and Ray.
"Oh, if you have people over I can just call a cab."
"No, it's fine don't worry about it." I heard Frank say something I couldn't quite hear. "Yeah, it's Kayla."
"I'm at Ethan's house."
"Of course you are. Alright I'm on my way. See you when I get there Laya."
"See you, Gee."
When Gerard's car pulled up, I got in the backseat next to Frank and Gerard pulled off. "Hey Laya," Frank said. "Shit, what happened to your eye?"
Gerard stomped on the brakes and turned around. He held my cheek and ran a thumb over my black eye. I winced. He unbuckled his seatbelt and jumped out of the car. He stormed back to Ethan's house. Ray jumped out after him and chased him down. Frank stayed in the car with me. I looked out the back window to see Ray wrestling Gerard and trying to drag him away from Ethan's front door. "He really cares about you," Frank said.
"I know."
"Not in the way you think."
"What do you mean?"
"He hates it when you call him a friend."
"Why? Would he rather I call him 'asshole'?"
"Stop fucking around. Why do you think he got here so quickly? Why do you think he left the little party we had going on? Why do you think he's taking on a jock like Ethan? We all know he doesn't have a chance in Hell against him. He knows that, and he's still gonna try and kick his ass, cause that jackass made the mistake of laying a finger on you. He hates you calling him a friend, because he wants more than that. He wants you. He needs you. He's just too scared to say it, because he's afraid you don't need him just as much."
I looked down. I had nothing to say.
Ray opened the driver's side door and threw Gerard back in the car. He got in the passenger's seat and told Gerard to drive. We rode in silence for a while. It would've been a peaceful drive, if not for all of the tension. And Gerard's swerving. After a few minutes of swerving, Gerard pulled over. "What's wrong?" Ray asked.
Gerard got out of the car and ran to a ditch. Frank crawled over me and filmed Gerard wretching into the ditch.
"Don't just stand there, go help him!" I said. I leaped out of the car and ran towards Gerard. He stood up, hopefully done vomiting into the ditch, and toppled over. I ran to him and fell to his side. "Gerard, are you okay?"
"Do I look fucking okay? Help me up."
I pulled him off the ground and wrapped his arm around my neck. I walked him over to the passenger door and helped him in the car after Ray scooted over to the driver seat. I got back in the backseat and we drove home.

------------------------------------------------------

Ray helped me walk Gerard to his room. "Was he sick before he started drinking?"
"He did say he was feeling kinda nauseated when he called us."
"Was he drunk when he called?"
"No. He must have gotten drunk while we were on the way here," Frank said as he pulled the sheets on Gerard's bed back. We laid him down and covered him up. He clutched the sheets and shivered.
I jogged into the hall and got a thick blanket out of the closet. As I was on my way back, I decided to stop by the bathroom. I grabbed a trash can and two washcloths. I quickly soaked them in cold water and ran back to Gerard before he puked on the floor. I laid out the blanket on top of him. He was shivering and sweating terribly. I set the trash can by his bed and sat down beside him.
"Thanks for taking care of him guys."
"You got it from here?" Frank asked.
"Yeah, I'm good. See ya."
"Bye Laya," Ray said as he hugged me. I kissed him on the cheek.
"What, I don't get a kiss?" Frank asked after I hugged him. I laughed and kissed his cheek.
They left while I folded one of the washcloths and put it on Gerard's forehead.
"What are you doing?" he groaned.
"You have a fever. This will tone it down a bit."
He began to say something but he leaned over the bed and puked in the trashcan. I brushed his dark hair behind his ears so he didn't get vomit in it. I uttered soothing words as I ran my fingers through his hair. That's what my mom did when she took care of me. It didn't actually help my condition but it made me feel better. He laid back down and I wiped the bile off his bottom lip with the other washcloth then hung it on his headboard. I pressed the clean cloth against his forehead and he rested his hand on mine.
"Are you gonna get drunk next time you're sick?"
"No."
"Good. I don't like seeing you this miserable. I'll be right back. Don't die."
"No promises." He was joking, but I was genuinely afraid that when I returned he would be gone. He was really bad off.
I got up and ran to the kitchen. I poured a glass of water and ran back to Gerard, careful not to spill the water.
"Did you run here?" he moaned.
"Yeah." I set the glass on his nightstand.
"Why didn't it spill?"
"It's called skill, buddy. Don't worry, I wouldn't expect you to know what that is."
"Fuck you."
"I know, old man."