Chapter 1 When this all started

"Well Happy 18th Birthday to me!" My birthdays have never really been a joyful day. I guess it's only been two long years since my first shift. That first shift that turned my life upside.....

*Flashback*

"This is going to be my best birthday yet" I gushed to my best friend Lily. Lily just rolled her eyes at me and said "How is turning 16 so special? I turned 16 two months ago and it wasn't anything different!" Lily has been my best friend since we were both babies. "Lily!! You know you were just as excited as I am! I mean really you were jumping up and down the whole day!" I know she's just trying to tease me but that's just not fair. "Okay! Okay! I guess I'm just as excited as you are! OMG! What color do you think you will be?" Lily asked all bouncy and bubbly as usual. I guess I hadn't really thought about it much. Lily was a sandy blonde wolf with white paws "I don't know Lily I'm just excited to be shifting! I think maybe I will make my dad proud" I said a bit quieter "Oh Katie, you know your father loves you. He just has a really hard time showing it" We both knew Lily was just saying that to try and comfort me. Nothing I ever did seemed to please him.

Lily had baked me a cake and we had our own party in my room together; we celebrated all my birthdays like this. With the music turned up loud we danced around my room singing like crazy people. It wasn't but an hour of fun before there was a loud banging on my door. Lily rushed to turn the music off while I walk over to my door. I pulled the door open to see the Alpha my dad standing there; smelling like whiskey. His eyes were a bit red from crying and drinking to much. "You know today is not a day to be celebrating on!" He shouted at me "I'm sorry dad, we got a bit carried away" I said cowering back a little away from him. That only seemed to enrage him more "Your mother died today! You could be a little bit more respectful of that fact" Lily stirred a little behind me. Uh oh please don't say anything "Mr. Harrison It's Katie's birthday and I think her mother would have wanted her to be happy today" Lily said in a quiet but steady voice. In a blink of an eye he had shoved me out of the way and had his hands around Lily's throat. He was beyond mad "YOU WILL NEVER SPEAK ANOTHER WORD TO ME AGAIN" My dad commanded in his Alpha voice. Lily wasn't breathing because he had to tight of a hold on her throat. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she struggled against my dads grasp.

Something snapped inside of me, I was angrier than I ever had been in my life. "HOW DARE YOU!" I shouted at my dad. He didn't even look my way, just continued to choke the life out Lily. An extreme pain took over my body as I took a step towards my dad. Bones started snapping inside of me as a scream tore its self from my throat. I tipped forward falling, a put my arms out in front of me to catch myself. A spasm ran through my body soon as I hit the floor. The pain stopped half a second later. I could feel that I had completely shifted into wolf form now, so I didn't need to look down to see. I heard a gurgle sound in front of me. Lily's eye lids were fluttering closed; she was still being chocked and only had seconds left. I lunged at the man that was hurting her. Grabbing onto it and shaking roughly. Lily dropped to the floor sucking in air that her lungs desperately needed. I let go of the man's arm that I still had between my teeth. I crouched defensively in front of Lily, keeping my body between this man and Lily.

The man slowing stood up, his eyes going into an angry black color. Then he started shouting at me "How dare you attack your own Father! You ungrateful little idiot! I AM YOUR ALPHA AND YOU WILL BOW TO ME!" His face was an angry shade of red as his body slightly started to shake. I could tell he was angry that I wasn't responding or bowing to him. But he wasn't my Father or my Alpha, my wolf knew this, as did I now. The man before me was nothing but a liar; telling me lies for 16 years. He WAS an Alpha but my wolf was stronger and was not going to bow to a weakling like him. I don't know why I didn't notice before but I look nothing like him. He had blonde hair that had started going grey and blue eyes when he wasn't angry. I had dark brown hair that was almost black and light green eyes. I took all this in as I watched him finally snap and shift in front of me. As soon as his front paws hit the ground he rushed me. I easily moved to the side a second before he hit me and he went smashing into the wall. My wolf was angry he would even try to come at us. He turned and came towards me again, this time when I moved at the last second I spun around and chomped down onto his back leg snapping a bone. He twisted around and snapped at my muzzle so I released his leg and jumped back. He didn't rush at me again like an idiot. We slowly started circling around, thankfully I had a massive room or this would have been hard. We lunged up at each other the exact same time. I knocked him backwards onto his side and sunk my teeth into his throat; enough to pierce deep but not kill him. My wolf wanted him to submit to us being stronger; she only wanted him dead if he wouldn't. A slow menacing growl erupted from between my teeth; He yelped a little as I bit down a little harder. He rolled a bit so his belly was up and I still had a hold of his neck. It was the show of submission that my wolf had been wanting. I slowly released my grip around his throat, as his blood slightly dripped down my mouth. He slowly rolled back onto his belly and stayed really low to the floor. All of a sudden I felt this swirling feeling like wind surrounding me; then little whispers in my head. It was the entire pack, I could hear different people all at once but only catching pieces "The Alpha was beaten" "Alpha's daughter..." "New Alpha" "How!!!" "Only a child" Then someone shouted "Quiet!" and all the whispering stopped. I could feel who had shouted it, it was one of the elders; the oldest elder named Henry. "Katie Sonia Harrison you are now the new Alpha of the pack. A meeting will be held tomorrow morning and anyone wishing to challenge this can do so then."

*End Flashback*

Surprisingly no one in the pack had challenged me. The pack had stuck with me with more loyalty than I could imagine possible. These two years I had spent proving myself capable of managing a pack to other neighboring packs. All had tried me and my pack but none had pushed into my territory and non will.

"Katie! Katie! KATIE!!!" Lilly screamed bringing me out of my thoughts "What?" I said a little dazed "I've been calling your name over and over!" She exclaimed "Oh I'm sorry Lily I was just thinking" She walked over to where I was standing by the window and hugged me. "It's okay Katie, I was just trying to tell you it's party time!!" Lily said with a little grin "Lily you know I think maybe it's a bad idea having such a big party" I said. I was a really regretting allowing Lily to invite over so many people. I'm not really into the whole party thing, I mean really what Alpha has time to party like a crazy women?! "Oh come on Katie!! It's time to get dressed! Then I'll do your hair up nice a cute!!" Lilly said bouncing up and down while pulling me to the closet.