Chapter 5- I Was Too Late

(Drew's POV)

"Roselia! Petal dance." I commanded, sweat dripping off my forehead. I grinned as Brendan's Onix fainted. Ha. Beat that. Brendan sent out a Lapras. That boy is full of surprises. "We're both on our last Pokémon." I said.

"Lapras, use Hydro Pump." I gasped as my Roselia fainted. Even though Brendan had the type weakness, he still won. "Good job." He praised me.
"You know you were better. I'll train until I'm better than you!" I told him.
We took our Pokémon to the centre and got them healed by Nurse Joy. "Let's go down to the creek and let our Pokémon out there." Brendan suggested.
I shrugged. "Sure."
Brendan sent out his Onix, Lapras, Tepig and Marshtomp. I sent out my Roselia, Venusaur, Leafeon and Celebi. "Yaaaaaaaay new friends!!!" Celebi exclaimed and flew down to the lake with the others following her.

"Do you like May?" Brendan asked me when we were alone.
"N-no...why would I? I stuttered.
"Drew," he said softly, "I can tell you do. And I think--I think she likes you too."
What?
"But you two are together! That's insane!" I laughed, trying to sound like I didn't care.
"I think I should let her go. There's this tension that's been building up for a while now."
I found myself mentally fist pumping and slapped myself. "I have this feeling whenever she looks at me or hugs me. I actually don't know if I do like her or not." I confessed. Brendan smiled understandingly.
"You two would make a good couple, I can't deny. I know it'll hurt but I think I'm going to let her go soon." He said.
"You know, I'm enjoying this."
"Enjoying what?"
"This. Us talking like this. I haven't talked to someone like this for a long time."
Brendan chuckled. "Yeah. . . I used to talk to May like this but we sort of...stopped over time."
"Oh."
Minzy was running towards us. I frowned. She fell onto the grass, weak from exhaustion. "May. . .May. . . ." She gasped for air. "Team Remix got. . .her. . ."
"What? How?" Worry and dread clawed at my stomach.
"What do they want from her?!?" Brendan demanded.
"They just took her. We have no idea where she is. The others are at the camping site now."
"Come on! Let's go!" I exclaimed, racing off with Brendan and Minzy.
We reached the campsite and I gasped. The trees around the tents were either knocked over or burnt and our tents were destroyed. May didn't go without a fight. Brendan started to pace the ground impatiently and Silver was trying to comfort Yuki. I can't believe it. I was too late. I couldn't save her.  "She'll be fine." Silver told Yuki, placing a hand on her shoulder gently. "NO SHE WON'T! DID YOU SEE WHAT THEY DID TO ME? WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY'LL DO TO HER?!" She exclaimed angrily, brushing his hand off and stomping towards us.

Silver followed her. "I should've gone instead of her. I should've fought harder." He muttered just loud enough for us to hear. Wait....Silver's blaming himself?! That is so unlike him.
"So what do we do? We can't just stand around here doing nothing!" I said impatiently. "I don't know." Silver, Brendan, Minzy and May said at the same time.

***

(May's POV)

"LET ME GO!!!" I shouted at the grunts who were dragging me out of my cell. "No can do," one of them smirked. "Yeah, we don't want to show up to the boss empty handed." Another one said.
Ugh. I was taken to a small office where I was forced into a small uncomfortable seat. Darien sat opposite me.
"Well, well. You guys have done great, Butch." Darien praised.
I assumed that was the name of their leader. Butch. What sort of name is that? I just stared at Darien and the grunts. "What do you want?" I asked, trying to keep my voice quiet and steady.
"You know what we want, girl." Darien said menacingly.
"Do. Not. Call. Me. 'Girl' " I spat, my voice filled with hatred.
"You see, it's simple. You give us what we want or..." He gestured at Butch. Butch left, then came back - dragging with him--
"Kevin." I spat the name from my mouth like it was poison. 
"Wait! May, it was a mistake, joining them. They told me they were never going to keep me around, they only needed me for one reason--" his blonde hair was messy and spiked up and his orange eyes were slightly glistening with tears.
"Shut it." Darien placed a hand on Kevin's mouth, muffling his voice.
"Or else what?" I challenged.
"Or else we kill the boy. Right here, in front of you," he allowed his words to linger in the air for a moment then said "you don't want to be responsible for your best friend's death, right? Of course you wouldn't."