Chapter 3- Kevin's Gift

The six young adults checked into a room at a nearby hotel.
"There are only five beds in the room, two bunk beds and one large one. Two of you will have to share, but that won't be a problem since it's a big bed." The woman at the reception smiled at them.

Problem. Big problem. May, Drew and Minzy immediately called a bed and Brendan had caught a cold so....
"NO WAY AM I SHARING WITH HIM/HER!!" Yuki and Silver shouted simultaneously. May smirked. "Don't worry, we're only staying here for two nights."
"Two nights? Why two?" Silver complained.
"It's 10pm now, and Minzy and I want to look around the town tomorrow and go.....shopping at night," May nudged Minzy. "Right?"
"Uh....yeah...." Minzy replied. Yuki groaned. "I really hate you guys."
"Love ya too!" They replied cheerfully.

They took the elevator up to level 9 and entered room 908. Entering the spacious room, May and Minzy jumped on their top bunk beds, while Brendan and Drew settled down on the bottom bunks. One by one, everyone went into the bathroom to change into their PJs. Yuki was refusing to speak to Silver, but it looked like he didn't really care.

"Why are you always so nice to me when I just ignore you?" Silver suddenly broke the awkward silence. Yuki didn't respond. Silver sighed. "Are you going to talk to me, or are you just going to sulk me to death?"
Still no response.
Whatever. He thought. If she doesn't want to talk to me then forget it.

What he didn't know was that Yuki was still waiting for him to apologise. . .

***

(May's POV)

I sighed, watching Yuki ignoring Silver and him just giving up like that. Yuki confessed to everyone except for Silver, who was walking ahead of us, that she had never had human friends before, so she didn't know how to act. We were all surprised until she told us who her Pokémon and parent was.
"I did have one human friend once but..."
That one sentence that she said stuck in my head like superglue.

Wait...friends....best friends.... My mind was jolted back to a few days ago.

*flashback*

BOO!

"KEVIN!!!!" I whined. He laughed, stepped in front of me and held out a small box.
"For the birthday girl! Happy 18th!" He excitedly told me.
"Thanks, Kev," I used the dreaded nickname.
"What would I be if I didn't give my best friend a present on her 18th?? A horrible friend, that's what. Anyway, let's have some fun, MayMay!"
I smirked. "Bring it on."
*end of flashback*

I realised-- that gift Kevin gave me, I never opened it. Scanning the room, I saw Drew and Brendan having a conversation, Yuki fast asleep, Silver tossing and turning - determined to stay on his side, nearly off the bed and Minzy updating her Pokédex - probably on Yuki's legendaries.

Climbing down the ladder onto the ground, Brendan gestured for me to join them but I politely declined. I needed to see what was inside the small box. I reached my bag and brought it back to my bed.

My fingers were trembling as I undid the satin bow that was keeping the box together. Taking off the lid, I let out a sharp breath. Inside, was a Pokéball and a note. I read the note first:

May, by the time you are reading this, you probably would know what I have done. I hope you can forgive me one day after hearing what I need to say. I was too fuelled by anger, hate and jealousy that you liked Brendan. Because you see-- I like you. But I knew that you would never like me back as someone more than a best friend , so when Team Remix asked me to join them I accepted their offer. They offered me much more than you did. The Pokémon inside the Pokéball is a Squirtle, because I know how much you like water types and that to complete your dream of becoming a gym leader, you must have at least four Pokémon.