Chapter 6 - Accidental Solutions

ALEX TURNER

——————————————

I sense something stirring that I can’t quite place my finger on but as I watch Derek pace Alvarado’s office I question what he is hiding, and it it only reminds me of when I tried keeping my relationship secret from him not such a short time ago. He called me out on it, I should be able to call him out.

“Derek, what is going on? You look…nervous. It’s weird.”

He stifles a chuckle as he finally comes to a halt, and turns around to face me. “I have to tell you something, and I know you’re not going to like it.”

Shocked by his words I shift uncomfortably in my seat, “Okay, then spill the beans.”

“I want McKay to get here.”

I roll my eyes and peer at my cell phone, “Well, the asshole has got one minute before being late, and since when does he have to be around for you to tell me things. Should I be worried?”

“No, but—“

And on cue, Ryan McKay walks arrogantly into the office, and takes a seat on the chair next me.

I cannot help my reflexive reaction, “Nice of you to join us with no time to spare.”

I make the mistake of turning towards him to witness his reaction, but I am caught off guard by his overly damp hair that is dripping over his sculpted face, and get a whiff of soap as he shifts his body towards me, flashing me his trademark grin, matched with his glittering turquoise eyes and dramatic head of midnight black hair.

I find that his grin renders me speechless, and I can’t figure out why, but lucky for me, or maybe unluckily, he speaks.

“I lost track of time in the gym, and tried fitting in a shower. Couldn’t have you see me all sweaty, Sweets, unless you’d like to have that arranged? Because I am sure I could figure something out.” and he has the audacity to wink.

Yes, Unluckily.

“You are an embarrassment to your kind, Agent McKay.”

His grin widens as if he has won some unknown game, and I decide I cannot bare to look at him any longer.

Even as my hormones buzz with some sense of attraction, I still can’t get over the fact that I already despise him.

Is this guy for real?

“Cool it you two!”

My lip twitches at hearing Derek’s outburst, “You sound like Alvarado when he’d talk to us.” And my tone is almost wistful at the fond memory.

Locking eyes with Derek’s familiar emerald stare is heartwarming, but I notice his lips fade into an unsure frown. Huh?

I  want to ask what all of this is all about, but in very unlike-Derek fashion he skips the topic entirely. I will get to the bottom of this.

“We have to talk about this assignment. We are going to leave for Paris in three days, and it isn’t much time to pan out the details. I wanted to tell you both at the same time how this assignment is going to go.” He turns his body so he is now directing his words towards me, “Turner, I am having you take the lead on this one.”

Without my bodily permission a giddy gasp escapes my lips, and instantly my lips flip my tentative scowl into a smile, but all in one swift motion the meaning of what he’s just said washes over me. Although it is an honor to have this opportunity finally, there is something that begs the question…