Chapter 5 - Issues & Silly Assumptions

ALEX TURNER

———————————————

I slip one of Jeremy’s t-shirts over my bare body as I stroll into his bedroom. Jeremy is engrossed in his cellphone most likely checking his work e-mail.

Without looking up he says flatly, “Not that I mind you wearing my clothes, but I just don’t understand why you don’t bring some of your things here.” 

I want to smile, but I resist for the moment. He always wants more, but can we just take one step at a time?

Despite our bathtub lovemaking I have not forgotten that we have things to discuss, and I cannot help my snooty tone with the innocent remark.

“I brought my own toothbrush?” as if that is enough.

I hear his audible huff at the remark. He can sense my sarcasm, but can he sense why?

I turn around to use the reflection of myself in the large floor to ceiling window. With the night now fully in effect my reflection comes in crystal clear. I run my fingers through my damp hair, and when I peer to the left I am surprised to see Jeremy’s blazing eyes watching me. I reflexively smile at the reflected sight, and when he notices he wryly smiles back as I see him slipping out of his side of the bed to slink towards me.

His side of the bed? Because we have that now.

Before he reaches me he says, “A single toothbrush does not suffice as your belongings Miss Turner.”

I chew my lip, deciding not to answer, because I know he is trying to play with me.

He comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling my body against his, and I cannot help my bodies physical reaction to his as I feel my blood flame. He nudges my head to the side demanding access to the nape of my neck. To my surprise I willingly turn, giving his lips free reign.

He nuzzles behind my ear, “You smell divine as ever, Miss Turner.”

I still don’t reply, and it is taking everything in my being not to wilt into his arms. Sometimes I hate the fact that he makes me feel like a fragile flower…but then again, maybe not.

Sometimes feeling so human feels wrong.

He stops and looks up at my reflection, locking eyes with mine, and his smile leaves his pouty lips, “Let me guess, you’re still mad.”

I notice the same tone from before, and I look at his own reflection suspiciously, “Do you suspect a reason why I should be?”

His arms around me tense, bringing me even closer, and he let’s out a sigh, “No, not really.”

Hm.

I pull out of his grasp deciding I need to get a grip on myself. His touch makes my brain fuzzy.

“You almost sound guilty. Does this have to do with a business trip you are going to have to be taking soon?” and I make it a point to walk completely away from him, not bothering to see his reaction as I make my way to bed.

By the drawn out sound of silence, I think he might be shocked.

“How did you—?”

I make it a point to cut him off, “—How did I know you’d be leaving to Paris soon for a green energy conference?” I cannot help my know-it-all tone, “Let me remind you that I am covert federal agent. I know everything.”

I am goading, and snootier than I would like. I’m acting like a pouty teenager, though I’d prefer myself to be a bit more serious, but I cannot help being entirely annoyed by the situation.