Prologue

***It would obviously help if you have read Emotionally Compromised, but I will try to not make it entirely necessary. Let me know if things don't make sense :) ***

Prologue:

ALEX TURNER

——————————————

“You have name, yes?”

I roll my eyes as I watch him stroll around me, shaking his medieval looking revolver in my general direction, as if it is suppose to intimidate me. Shouldn’t he have a weapon more impressive for being an arms dealer? —though, I am partial to the old school as well— 

A combination of his horrid, suffocating cologne, and his broken english are starting to bother me, and deciding I am becoming impatient, I switch to his native tongue of Portuguese to get the ball rolling. I am bored playing the innocent, when obviously the cat is out of the bag.

I reply with my alias, “Meu nome é Jeanine Raven, entender?” [My name is Jeanine Raven, understand?]

Shocked for a moment at the sudden outburst of perfectly spoken Portuguese, I let out a series of chuckles. My favorite part is coming.

I am sitting on a cold, dirty floor in an empty studio apartment in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. My legs are crossed nonchalantly as I wiggle my wrists that are tied behind my back. 

The man standing before me is Eduardo Silva; a big arms dealer forging government contracts with non-licensed guns. 

I, unfortunately, made the mistake of getting caught while snooping around a shipment due to be sent out this evening, but lucky for me it only means it is going to have to get a bit messy, not that I entirely fucked up.

I peer over at his accomplice, his sandy brown hair matted with sweat under his forest green beanie, but his piercing emerald green eyes catch my attention as I notice him smile at me through his thick scruff. Please.

The barrel of the gun is suddenly slammed into my temple knocking me onto my side. Weebles wobble, but they never fall down…and I swing my position back up, blinking through my dotted vision as I come back from the brutal blow. Ow, okay, now you have my attention…

He shouts in portuguese, “Quem é você realmente!?” [Who are you really!?]

Why do these people always ask that? Fools.

I shake my head ‘no’ and decide on a grin. I take great joy in the fact that Eduardo is getting angrier and angrier, because that makes two of us. No one hits me and gets away with it.

“Por que não vamos cortar o Eduardo perseguição? Eu estou pedindo a sua confissão de vender armas ilegais para a Rússia, Coréia do Norte e China. Confesse agora, e eu vou pegar leve com você.” [Why don't we cut to the chase Eduardo? I am asking for your confession to selling illegal weapons to Russia, North Korea, and China. Confess now, and I'll go easy on you.]

He let’s out a loud baritone laugh, and his answer is clear, “No!”

Have it your way then.

Shocking him I spring upwards, with two free hands. The knot his accomplice tied was purposefully weak.

Before Eduardo can see it coming I slam my fist into his jaw, flinging him backwards, and in a reflexive panic he pulls the trigger of his own gun. The sound of the aimless bullet bellows into the evening air. I immediately grab for his wrist, twisting it, causing him to let go of the gun. It falls to the floor in a clatter. 

And just to finish him off I use the heel of my palm to slam upwards into his nose. The evident ‘crack’ sounds as he stumbles off to the side, and then falls unceremoniously onto the wood floor unconscious. I love my job.

I quickly grab for the gun on the floor and check to see how many rounds are left. It’s full, other than the last shot fired.

I turn my attention to the accomplice who is now smiling a wide toothy grin; eye’s glittering.

The man whips off his beanie, and ruffles his own hair. “God dammit, Turner. Could you cut that any closer?”

I let out a laugh, “Were you worried about me?”

He rolls his eyes, “You never cease to…piss me off.”

I jab him jokingly in the shoulder, but something catches my ear. Movement.

Everything happens so fast that there isn’t a moment to think.

Eduardo grasping his profusely bleeding nose with one hand, pulls out a small pistol from his waistband with the other, and flings his arm forward, pointing the barrel at Derek.

Only one gunshot is heard. It slices through the silence with grace.

The trigger that is pulled is mine. Always.

When the bullet hits his chest I watch the instantly lifeless body of Eduardo Silva jolt back, and collapse onto the floor.

I heave in a deep breath recounting what just happened as I stare at my own smoking gun, not realizing that I had even taken aim, but damn I am a perfect shot.

“Okay, maybe I am not so pissed anymore, but did you have to kill him?” is heard from Derek who stands smirking proudly at me. Saved your life again, asshole.

I shrug, chewing my lip, holding back a smile, “Whoops?”

*Ring-Ring…*Ring-Ring*…

“Turner, you have got to be kidding me right now?”

I grin like a dumb girl and pull my cell phone out of my jacket pocket, “Derek, why don’t you call the clean up crew?” 

The phone in my hand continues to ring, and he rolls his eyes at me, “I thought I was the one calling the shots?”

I nod my head in a patronizing manner as I stroll away to take the call, feeling Derek’s eyes on me. I turn my head to shoot him a glare, but he proceeds to cross his arms disapprovingly.

“Hi babe!…I miss you too, how was your day? That’s good….Me? Oh, nothing…Hows work going for me? Um, it is going great…of course I am staying out of trouble. No, I think I just wrapped this assignment up actually —I can’t wait to see you—…I am not changing the subject. The case is going great…babe, you know I can’t tell you that…I love you too. I’ll be home in a few day’s. I really can’t wait to see you…okay, I will. I love you…I love you more…bye Jeremy.”

I hang up the phone to see that Derek has not budged and I throw my hands up in the air defensively, “What!?”

“What the hell was that? For a person who had a problem with love not too long ago, you seem to be pretty comfortable with it now.”

I grin wide, “I am.”

******************************

Authors Note:

Thank you SO SO MUCH for joining me for the second adventure! So, what do you think of the start of book 2 and the title? Please tell me your thoughts!! I am nerovus about book 2, but just as excited to write it as I was the first one. Please show your support by voting/commenting. Thanks for being awesome loyal readers!!!