Lucas

We watch Maya leave, and I feel pain in my chest. "You left her. How could she love you?" Josh asks. "Look you don't know Maya like I do." Josh laughs. "Oh I don't? You're right. I don't know that she loved you so much, and it all went to waste. How she goes into depression when she thinks about you and how you crushed her. How she cries in the middle of the night in her sleep. Sleep talking about you, begging you not to hurt her and leave." He says. 

I can see the honesty in his eyes, and I hate my self for hurting her like that. I promised myself I wouldn't hurt her like that. She was already broken, and I broke her even more. There's going to be a point when she'll be so hurt, so broke that she can't be fixed. I can't hurt her any more. "I know. And leaving her was the biggest mistake I ever made." "If you loved her so much, why didn't you defend her?" "Because. I know how strong she is. I believe in her. I knew she could be brave." "It's hard to be brave when her dad didn't love her." 

I take a deep breath and look at the angry Josh in front of me."Look, my dad does this with every girl. Trust me. If she could just talk to him again-" "NO! She already got hurt." "No you don't understand. My dad wants the girl to talk back to him. For the girl to tell him he really loves me. That's why I couldn't interrupt. Why it killed me to watch him snap her in half. If I could just take her to see my dad, I know she could prove him wrong." 

Josh hesitates for a minute. "Is your dad still here?"

 "He's here until the new year."

 "That doesn't give you much time to convince her to see him again."

 "Me? You aren't going to help?"

 "Why would I help you get the girl I love?"

 "What if she picks me over you? Then what would you do?"

  "I would let her go. If it's you who she really wants, I'd let her go and be happy. But I don't think I could see her again if she hurt my heart like that. I love her more than you know. But what if she chose me?" 

"I'd let her live her life. I'd support her from the back ground. Because if we were in a fight, you would be the one on the ground, and it will be me who walks away. I know your love for her will come tumbling down." 

"Like yours didn't?" 

"You know the reason why now. Would you lie to her to keep her?" 

"No, but only wouldn't tell her the truth either. I wouldn't say anything." 

"How could you do that?" 

"Because I love her and it would kill me to see her with you." 

"So you would save your own heart ache, but not help hers?"

 "Hearts can change. I could change." 

"Could you really, or are you being selfish?"He doesn't respond, and I have won. I am the one who truly loves Maya.