Lucas

When we walk into the ice skating rink, I see its reserved. Looking closer it's reserved for a Mister and Miss Lucas and Maya Friar. Maya Friar. I kind of like that name on her. Not just kind of. I LOVE the name on her. It suits her. Maybe we will get married some day. But whenever I mention it, she changes the conversation. I know why, her dad yelled at her about it when she was five. But still  she should give me a chance. I won't be like her dad. I'll treat her like my queen. I already do.

 I shake my head, clearing my thoughts. Okay, focus Lucas. I tap on the glass door, and a boy about seventeen or eighteen opens the door. "Lucas and Maya! Come on in! Here's your skates." He hands me a pair of white skates with a cowboy hat and rope on them. He gives Maya silver ones with intricate designs. Wow, Farkle really put a lot of effort into this. "Okay. You two are going to go on the ice and play some hockey. It's you two against our staff here, and when you score five goals, you get your gift. Really quick, I need Maya, and then I will talk to you. Come on Maya." He takes her into a back room and returns a minute later, without her. "Where is Maya?" I ask suspiciously. "Okay Lucas. On your card it says to get the gift before she gets cold right?" I nod. "Well, we just gave Maya a serum they use  on professionals so they get used to the cold. As for Maya who's only been once, it will make her feel colder, and colder with each passing minute. It's perfectly harmless, I promise. And don't sue us or anything, it was all master Farkle's idea." He says. 

When Maya comes out, I look at her. Already she's paler than usual and she looks cold. "Did they tell you?" I ask her. She nods. "Yeah. But coupleshave to go through trials every day. Let's just get it over with." She walks out onto the ice, then falls. I rush to her side and pick her up. "You okay?"  "Yeah." "Okay listen up! Rules are you must score all five goals, both of you must play. You must alternate shooting goals. Oh, and you only have twenty minutes before Maya will pass out with cold. If she passes out, you loose and don't get the next clue or the gift. I will say this. The gift will stop the medicine and make Maya feel better." The announcer says.

 A horn flares and I rush to get the hockey puck. I need to save Maya. I make the shot in less than thirty seconds. Maya stands behind me her eyes wide. "I didn't know you could play!" She exclaims. "Yeah I can. Now hurry! Go Maya go!!" I shout. She skates slowly towards the puck and gets close to the goal, then collapses. "Maya!!!" I shout skating to her as quickly as possible. "I-I'm ff-fine. Jjj-just ccccc-cold."she says getting up. I support her weight, and pick her up, putting her on top of my skates. "Let's do this!" I say. She giggles, her teeth chattering. I dodge the other players and Maya makes the shot. Seven minutes are gone. It's my turn, and I gently take Maya off of my feet, and put her by the wall. "Hold onto this." I say and I skate away. I rush to the players, like a pro and take the puck, making it in. Ten minutes are gone.

 I return back to Maya who is leaning on the wall for support. I pick her back up. "Let's go little girl." She smiles weakly and I help her skate to the players. She gets the puck, and almost makes it in, but another player comes in and knocks us down. I scramble to my feet. Maya is curled up on the ground, blue faced and her lips are purple. I scoop her up in my arms. "Come on Maya, you can do this!" I shout. She takes her stick and whacks the ball in. Two minutes left, and one shot to go. I set Maya down and skate like I've never skated before and make it in with six seconds to spare. 

Greedily, I grab the present and rip it open, and see my jacket inside. How it got there I don't have a clue. I run back to Maya and wrap it around her. Picking her up, I take her into the lobby and buy her a hot cocoa. She drinks it, shivering. With her shakes, I see a note fall out of her - well, my pocket. I pick it up and read it. "Sorry for the trial, but it really was vital. Go where music is made and retrieve the memories before they fade." What is that supposed to mean? Is he going to knock us out with sleeping gas? Oh well, I'll find out soon enough. 

"What does this one say?" Maya asks. Luckily she's not cold anymore. "We need to go to the recording studio and get the memories." She looks at me curiously. "Okay....and what's that supposed to mean?" I shrug my shoulders. "You know as much as I do." I say. She nods. "Okay then. Shall we go?" "We shall!" I say and we walk out the door.