Chapter 10

Chapter 10

AVERY’S POV

I stood there shocked. “M-My fault?” I said. Words would form in my brain but I would just choke on it before I get to ask Violet more. Violet stood there, with a sympathetic expression on her face. I was the one who jilted her and she was feeling sorry for me? I could just laugh...

“Avery, you can’t blame yourself. You were half-dead at the moment, I don’t think you or your wolf could have sensed your mate when you were fighting to live.” Violet said. Her words struck a chord and I looked at her. I figured it out.

“Y-You mean...it was during that time? The day I was attacked? The day we got engaged?!” I asked, my eyes wide with shock.

Violet nodded slowly. “Exactly, so you know. Have fun, Avery.”

“WAIT!” I commanded. “Why are you telling me this?” I asked her, suspiciously.

She sighed. “Look Avery, Kylie got shot because of me and I may act like a bitch but I’m not heartless. Even I have a conscience. I still care for you Avery but looking at the both of you tonight... I was jealous—of you having a mate and of her having you—but at the same time, I was happy that you were happy.” she said, smiling softly. I believed her. I knew Violet well, and she was sincerely expressing her mind to me.

“Thank you.” I said. “But...what was with the smirk..you know..back there??”

She laughed. “Sorry, but I couldn’t help  but smirk when I caught you being so sweet like that.”

Violet smiled and gave me a wave as she headed back to the pack house. I smiled and scratched my head. Violet being nice...Man. I don’t think I could ever get used to that, I thought, chuckling to myself. But the one thing that confused me was that, I was attacked on the night of Kylie’s first shift and it was right at the moment too. Is it just me or is that just too much of a coincidence??

KYLIE’S POV

Avery came to me with a wide grin on his face and I couldn’t help but plaster an equally wide grin on my face either. He rushed over to me and held me up in the air, spinning me around a little. I giggled as he put me down. “What was that for?” I asked, still smiling.

“I have answers now, Kylie. I know why I never came for you.” he said, smiling. I felt my heart skip a beat, my body stiffened, my breathing stopped and my eyes wide with disbelief. Avery had answers. I can finally stop the wondering, the pain and... I had my mate with me. A part of me was scared to find out the truth, what if I was the reason? That frightened me more. As if he read my mind, Avery kissed my forehead. “It wasn’t you, baby. It wasn’t me either...”

“Wh-Who was it then?” I asked Avery.

He shook his head and we both walked to a secluded part of the secret garden and sat on the bench, well, he was. I was just on his lap. “That day, I was attacked by someone. I couldn’t see who but then I went into a critical condition in a comatose state. I could have died but my wolf urged me to fight, so I did. I don’t think it could have sensed you anymore than I could have.” he explained. By the time, he stopped, I felt hot tears streaming down my cheeks and he was wiping the tears away, looking at me apologetically as if he had said something wrong. “Baby? Kylie? Please stop crying, angel. I’m sorry.”

I shook my head and smiled at him. “No, it’s okay. I’m fine. You didn’t do anything wrong. I’m the one who owes you an apology. I’m sorry for assuming the worst of you...” I told him, sniffing.

Avery smiled and lightly kissed me on my lips. “I love you, Kylie.”

“I love you, Avery.”