Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The sun was finally rising and I felt myself walking back to the pack house in all fours. I saw my parents and my twin, Kyle and my best friend, Amy, with her mate and my older brother, Blaine all outside waiting for me. They saw me and Kyle, especially who was linked with me through a stronger bond, ruffled my silky icy gold fur and I winced at his touch. My body still ached from shifting and running all night without rest. My eyes were bloodshot even as a wolf and I let out a low growl, telling everyone to step away from me.

My parents and everyone in the pack respected my wishes and they stayed away from my room, where I shifted back. I took a hot shower and changed into my black tank top and white booty boxers and hid under the bed covers. I cried and cried, feeling betrayed, heartbroken, angry, sad and just out of place and tired. My eyelids grew heavy and I allowed the darkness to consume me, silently wishing it would consume me forever.

***

When I woke up, I felt numb. Not physically but emotionally. I felt no sadness, no anger, no pain except physical pain, because I could not muster it all up. The hole in my heart was still there but I felt no pain. My newly found inner wolf, was silent all day and I went downstairs to the kitchen and ignored the stares of the other pack members.

"KYLIE!" I heard a girly voice yell. A body flung itself in my direction and hugged me. I knew the warmth was Amy's. I saw Blaine, over her shoulder, who was looking at me with a wry smile. There was sympathy in his eyes. Amy pulled away and smiled like Blaine. "Ky, are you okay? What happened? Where's your mate??" she asked, quickly. If it wasn't for my newfound sense of hearing and the word 'mate', I would have missed what she had said.

Blaine pulled Amy away. "Ames, don't give her the third degree." he told her. He turned to face me. "But I am going to have to ask, Ky. Where is your mate? We can't find him or smell him. We only smelled you. What happened?" he asked.

Mate?  I thought. I heard Amy gasp before I realized tears had formed in my eyes again. I wiped them and walked into the kitchen and found my twin, Kyle, heading over to give me a hug. "Kylie, what's wrong?" he asked me. I couldn't hole it any longer and I cried as he pulled me into his warm chest. "Ky?"

I opened my mouth to say something but only a series of sobs and choking and squeaking sounds came out of my mouth. 'He didn't come, Kyle!! I'm still mateless!' I told him, telepathically.

Kyle pulled away and looked at me with wide-eyes. "B-But that's not possible even if it does explain why we can't smell him! H-How could you have shifted?" he asked me.

I wiped my eyes and started to calm down a little. "I-I don't know! I just did, Kyle! Why didn't he come?" I asked him as fresh tears coming to me. I began telling him everything that I felt, everything that happened. Amy and my parents and even the council elders listened in on my conversation with Kyle. I cried and felt the pain coming to me again. By the time I was finished, Kyle hugged me tightly and everyone gave me pitying looks which I hated so much. I wondered if I was so ugly and questioned myself. I even started to believe something was wrong with me.

Kyle comforted me all through the day. "Don't worry, Ky. We'll find him and when we do, I'm gonna beat the crap out of him and we'll get answers. That son of a bitch is going to pay for hurting you." he growled menacingly.

I shook my head. My eyes were stinging as I cried way too much and my eyes and nose were pretty puffy and red. "Maybe something is wrong with me..." I mumbled under my breath. "Maybe I'm really a guy and for whatever reason, I grew up thinking I was a girl...."

Kyle laughed and I didn't. I knew it was ridiculous but I felt so irrational and desperate for answers. Something was wrong with me and I wasn't convinced otherwise. He didn't come because I was too different and that scared me. "Kylie, listen to me. You're not a GUY, otherwise the pack doctor and mom and dad must have been bringing you up wrong and I missed out on having a bro and now you need 10 years of therapy just to-ok, I'm getting way out of topic here. The crux is, nothing is wrong with you. You might be different but that means you're special. And there could also be the possibility that your mate is...dea-?"

I cut him off immediately, not wanting to think of that alternative. "DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!!" I yelled at him, angrily.

Kyle shut his mouth and sighed. "Ky, you gotta get over this okay? I don't want to see you suffer because of a guy you've never met whose supposed to be making you happy but is making you miserable instead. Come on Kylie, you know you're stronger than the both of us combined." he said.

I didn't know if I could get over this. I felt betrayed by my own mate and so heartbroken after convincing myself that he didn't want me. I looked up at my brother and turned to look at Blaine and my parents and Amy in the living room, laughing and chatting. I smiled.

For them, I would try and I could try but getting over it...I doubt that it would even happen.

A year later...

"KYLIE!!" Kyle yelled from downstairs. "COME ON!!! We're going to be late, Ky!!"

I sighed. "I'll be there in 5 minutes, Kyle!!" I told him. I looked myself in the mirror and checked my outfit. A sweet black tank top with a red mini-skirt and ¾ dark jeans-perfect. It was my first day of being a senior at school and I wanted to look my best. My icy-blonde hair was perfectly wavy and my lips were glossy, thanks to Amy. I didn't bother wearing any make-up because they irritated my skin so much except for the lip-gloss. Those were the only things I would use.

"KYLIE~!!!" Kyle yelled again. This time I rushed downstairs and grabbed my bag from Blaine and Ames (Amy)and I linked our arms together and walked to Blaine's super hot ride. Blaine wasn't in our grade, he went to the same school only he was a junior. I giggled at Kyle's annoyed look. "Finally, I was getting tired of waiting. A second more and we would have been gone." he grumbled.

Ames giggled too. "Yeah, that's what you said a second ago but voila, here we are!" she retorted. Kyle sighed and gave up. "Ok, let's go!" she said, punching her fist in the air.

I smiled and walked into the car with  them and then felt something stop me. Kyle noticed me stop and sent a worrying message to me telepathically. 'You okay, Ky?' he asked.

"Yeah...fine. I just felt a little weird just now." I told him. I shook my head and I forced a smile out and flashed it to Kyle. "Okay~, so let's go! I'm PUMPED!" I said, shoving him into Blaine's car hurriedly.

When everyone strapped on their seatbelts and I turned to look at the forest where I had first shifted. I took in a deep and shaky breath and felt Amy's hand giving me a warm squeeze. "It's gonna be fine." she whispered to me. I nodded and leaned on her shoulder as the car drove.

'Everything is going to be fine, I promise.' Kyle told me. 'It's all over.'

'I wish it was...but I don't know, Kyle. Something just speaks to me about today, I don't think it's over yet. On the contrary, I believe it's all starting...' I sent him.

He and I sighed and kept quiet as Blaine drove us to school. It was a new day and I felt something being lighted inside my heart. Instantly, I whipped my head around as we got closer to school and I began to get scared. "Blaine..." I whispered. He heard me all because of the super hearing senses we have.

"Kylie, don't take off the seatbelt! KYLIE!" he warned me but I knew he  was here. I felt the bond and my wolf telling me he was near. I wanted to run. I can't see him!

"STOP THE CAR!!! BLAINE, STOP THE CAR!!!" I told him, panicking. Blaine did and I walked away from the school until I felt Amy grabbing my hand. "Let me go, Ames!" I told her. "Please..." I pleaded but she shook her head.

"What's wrong? We have school, Ky. We can't ditch." she said.

I shook my head, profusely and tears started rolling down my cheeks. "No, he's here. I can feel the bond. He's here!!" I said to her.

Blaine stepped out of the car with Kyle and they tried to calm me down. "Kylie, who's he? Who's here?" Blaine asked.

I stared at them with tears in my eyes and Kyle grabbed my trembling hands. "Who is it, Ky? What's wrong??" Kyle asked.

"My mate... he's here."