Wipe Your Eyes (21)

When I opened my eyes the next morning, for a moment I couldn't remember where I was. The sun shone through the translucent large windows and directly into my eyes. I had forgotten to shut the blinds. It was bright sunny day with a light wind blowing here and there.

It felt like another lifetime ago when he had asked me to marry him right here. So much had changed that it was impossible to feel anything like that again. I didn't know if I could. I got out of bed, stumbling along the way to the bathroom. After cleaning up and changing my clothes, I checked my phone for emails from work. There were none. But there were a few calls from Christian.

Why was he calling me?

Shaking my head, I put my phone in my jeans pocket and went downstairs. My head hurt indicating that it was time for my dose of caffeine. I still felt awkward about seeing Jeremy.

 Were we supposed to act normal in front of Georgina? 

I went downstairs quietly hoping that Jeremy was out or something. I wanted to clear my head first before I plunged into the whirlwind of feelings that were threatening to overwhelm me.

I had kissed him back. Maybe it was because I had missed him. It still hurt to think about what he had done but he was sorry wasn't he? He didn't love Candice. He didn't want to be with her. But no matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise, I just couldn't understand why he would cheat on me.

I noted that the fridge was surprisingly well stocked as I pulled out a carton of orange juice. Jeremy was nowhere in sight. I could hear the splashing of waves outside. It made me feel almost calm if it weren't for the fact that Georgina would just walk in. She smiled at me as she came down the stairs. She looked better than last night, dressed in white shorts and a pink t-shirt and her hair styled in a pony tail. But there was no mistaking the red eyes. From experience I could tell that she fell asleep crying.

God knows how many nights I spent doing just that.

"Good morning," she said as she poured herself some milk.

"Hey, how're you doing?" I smiled, my heart going out to her.

"Okay, I guess. Where's Jeremy?"

She didn't wanna talk about it and that was okay with me. I was just about to answer when the man in question walked in. Soaked in sweat and wearing sweatpants, he was returning from a run. I tried to smile for Georgina's sake. Inside, my heart was beating a million times faster.

"Morning. Nice run?" Georgina asked him before I could say anything and for that I was glad. Jeremy took out a bottle of water out of the fridge as he answered.

"Yeah. How are you?" His eyes swept over hers in genuine concern.

I was feeling awkward having not said a word so I just concentrated on pretending to look for a spoon to eat my yogurt with.

"I'm okay," was her short reply just before her phone started ringing. She tensed and so did Jeremy, his whole posture on full alert.

"Who is that?" His voice was serious now. Georgina took out her phone and her face relaxed into a smile.

"It's just mom. I'll see you guys in a bit." And then she was gone, phone to her ear and glass of milk forgotten on the counter. I glanced at Jeremy and I immediately wished I hadn't. He was looking at me.

"The spoons are in the cupboard over there.Can't believe you forgot," he said pointing to my left.

"Oh uh I didn't," I answered, feeling stupid as I took a spoon and started to eat. There was undeniable tension in the room as I ate and he stood. He broke the silence.