Chapter Five: Sung Joon

Waking up to my daughter sleeping soundly beside me was a whole new experience.

I spent at least an hour just watching her little face, and then she woke up. She opened her eyes and looked at me and she smiled. I swear she recognizes that I am her dad already. I picked her up in my arms and said.
"Good morning Hana. You ready to go shopping today?"

She clapped her hands and I laughed. Did she understand me? She's going to be a smart one.

Now trying to get ready while keep an eye on an active one year old was difficult. She crawled all over the place. She stood up holding onto the the edges of the bed, the chair, anything she could get her hands on, and walked. I kept getting afraid that she would fall. Then after a while she seemed to get bored and started to cry. She began looking around the room, almost as if she was searching for someone.
I feared that she was starting to realize her mom was gone. She spent the first year of her life with her, of course she would be sad when she suddenly disappears. I picked her up and left the room.

Lani would know what to do.

I feel bad about depending on her. She even stayed the night here, she probably was uncomfortable. But I wouldn't change anything about the fact she was here. I felt like I could do this father thing, and be good at it, with her here.
I knocked on Woo Bin's door but there was no answer. I debated on if I should go in or not. Hana's increasingly louder cried decided me. I opened the door and stepped in, closing it behind me.
Lani was in the bed her eyes clothes still asleep. I walked closer to the bed and Hana caught sight of her. Gradually she stopped crying and began squirming in my arms. I sat her down on the bed and she crawled over beside Lani. She reached out touching her face and hair.
She smiled as she did so. I smiled at the sight.
Hana and Lani.

My two girls.

I shook my head trying to dislodge that thought. Lani wasn't mine. She isn't my anything, its not possible.

Hana leaned over and it looked like she was trying to eat Lani's face. The massive amounts of drool is what probably woke her. She cracked her eyes open and looked up at Hana and a brilliant smile erupted on her face. She gave Hana a kiss on her forehead and the two girls watched each other like they were in love.

"Did you're daddy feed you yet or was he just waiting for me to wake up?" Lani said playfully. And a sharp pang pierced my heart. It was, longing. I could imagine this, I shouldn't , but I could.
Waking up every morning to this sight. Lani and Hana. Watching them play seeing Lani look at me with that beautiful smile. I never really had the experience of family. My mom was always drinking and my dad was a heavy gambler. The only people I considered family was my friends. Its always just been the four of us. And I thought it would continue to be like that forever. However this moment right now,
This felt like family.

I cooked breakfast, which usually was done by me or Jung Hyun anyway because Soo Hyuk and Woo Bin where hopeless in the kitchen. Soo Hyuk begged Lani to come with us and she agreed. Our plan of attack was to bring Lani to her house so that she could change and then go to the mall to start the shopping.

Currently we were waiting outside Lani's apartment in the car. She said she would be quick.
"So a baby huh?" Soo Hyuk said from where he sat in the backseat with Hana on his lap.
"A baby." I agreed.

"And Lani.." He said.

"What about her?"

He raised an eyebrow at me. "I always thought it was weird that you let one of your employees have their kid at work with them. But then after I saw you talking with her, the way you watched her and smiled, I knew you felt something for her."

I closed my eyes and sighed. Was it that obvious, my feelings for Lani? I thought I'd concealed them well. I didn't want to be seen as a child predator. That's what everyone else would think about any relationship that we have.

"Its ok man. If you like her you like her. Don't worry about what anyone else will think." He said.

Easy for him to say. He wasn't the one who could go to jail for loving someone. I had to pause.
Love.
Did I love Lani? I didn't think so, it's not possible.

Finally Lani could be seen exiting the building. She got into the car and looked at me excitedly. "Lets go."

I laughed. "Are you that excited to go baby shopping?" I asked incredulously.

She nodded eagerly. "I am going to find the most adorable outfits for her."

Soo Hyuk laughed. "Oh no. You aren't going to have my niece looking like a pink fabric monster threw up on her."

Lani glared at him as I laughed. "That's doesn't even make sense. And for your information she's going to look great." she then grinned at Hana. "Don't worry Lani is going to make sure you're the cutes baby ever."

The mall trip is an experience that I don't ever want repeated. Lani and Soo Hyuk argued over every outfit either of them picked. I just held Hana and followed behind them. At one point I feared for Soo Hyuk's life as Lani glared at him and threatened to punch him. That girl has serious temper on her. It was funny, as long as it isn't directed at me.
Once we had all that we had come for Lani reluctantly said. "I should be getting home. My mom insists that I am there when she gets back."
I nodded. I understood. I was surprised that her mom even agreed to let her stay over at my apartment last night.

I drove Lani to her house and her mom was standing outside. When she saw us stop she came over to the car.
"I have to see this cute little baby in person." She said as Lani got out. I took Hana out of her car seat and held her up to Carmen. She grabbed onto Carmen's finger and held on tight. I laughed. There must be something about these Gonzalez women that Hana likes.
Carmen held Hana and was bouncing her up and down as I said. "Thank you for letting Lani stay. She was a big help."

She nodded. "Do you know what your going to do with her while you are working?"

I still had no permanent care options for her. I guess I would have to hire someone. I told her my thoughts about getting a professional baby sitter.

"Lani can watch her for you on the weekdays after school." Her mom volunteered for her. "Well if she wants to."

I looked at Lani. I couldn't ask that of her. She is a teenager with a life. She probably didn't want to spend her free time taking care of a baby. "Of course I want to. I was going to aske about that anyway." She replied quickly.

"Really you wouldn't mind?" I asked.

"Of course not. I love her already. It'll be fun."

She said convincing me that she really did want to do this and not just because she couldn't say no.