prologue

prologue

Have you ever wondered about life after death? Your life after death? What happened to your friend or family member once they used their last breath? Or even the guy you murdered only last night? Got you thinking, haven't I?

The truth of death is... that it doesn't matter.

Many believe in resurrection, many in ghosts and some don't even believe in life after death, but I believed in heaven and hell until I was proven wrong on 25th June 2011; the day I died.

Not a big deal, right? Well, it was to me. They say once you begin your new life, you forget your old one. The old you: the people who were once your family and everything or anything you cared about. But I was one of the few that never forgot and this very day when I see my mother pass, it aches to know she will never remember her only daughter. She's able to start her new life with a new man and new children, while I'm stuck in the memory of my old life.

* * *

Darkness dispersed all around me. There was nothing I could see, just a patch of black everywhere. Voices: distant voices were all I could hear, the familiar sound of my father. I searched everywhere, using his voice as a guide, yet his deep, reasuring voice didn't get any louder.

"Zav, Just hang in there. I'll be waiting right here when you wake up." His voice seemed to pull away the panic from my own mind. However, it was unstable, as though he was fighting the urge to tear up. He reached out for my hand and squeezed it hard enough for me to feel. I was grateful.

"Don't worry Daddy. I'm right here, I'm fine." Those were the words I dearly desired to comfort my father with, but no matter how hard I tried, the lump in my throat refused to dissipate from its place.

"I'm sorry Mr Turner, but she doesn't appear to be making any improvements. We're hoping that the medication we have put her on will increase her chance of survival." A new voice entered my mind. It was much softer and quieter than father's voice.

Increase my chance of survival? I'll live, I have to!

"Thank you very much, doctor." His confidence reappeared.

Silence filled the room as I searched deep in the darkness, desperately seeking for a way into the light. It was when I thought about light did hectic break out. A loud and unrecognisable beep went off.

"What's happening?" The panic in Dad's voice was only too evident.

"She's going into arrest, please wait..." The sounds suddenly disappeared. I shut my eyes tight and collapsed to the floor. The floor? Where did that even come from? I plucked up the courage to open my eyes and when I did, the bright light almost blinded me. I found myself in a long corridor. Every inch of the walls either side of me were filled with framed photos of people. Only a spot to my right was empty. I stood up and took the opportunity to study that empty space. Next to the empty space were four outstanding photos in a row. I touched the empty spot on the wall and suddenly a photo of my current self appeared in its place.

"Please come this way."