Chapter Four

A/N 

i am fully aware that this chapter is extremely boring but still, i hope you enjoy it.

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter four 

I was in a corridor, not like the one I was walking through earlier with portraits on either side on the walls. This corridor belonged to a house, which was evident through the layout; there were stairs leading to the upstairs floor and just to my right were two doors leading to separate rooms. Just besides the stairs were three steps leading down into a kitchen.

Dr Chang immediately made for the stairs, not even acknowledging my presence. That’s when I realised she didn’t even know I was there. I contemplated on allowing her to continue and just follow her but then again I do have a conscience: one that is prone to guilt.

“Dr Chang?” I whispered as she reached the middle of the stairs. She was taking two steps at a time. It didn’t seem she heard so I repeated myself, louder this time.

She whipped round, her hair bobbing up and down in the pony tail, to look at me. Her eyes suddenly grew large and she froze on the top step. She was speechless for a few moments, only opening and closing her mouth like a fish.

“What the hell are you doing here? How did you get here?” Dr Chang suddenly began shouting, having found her voice. She stomped back down the stairs while her hands flapped all over the place. She was definitely not happy to see me.

“I…err…see the thing is ––” I started to reply but once again she interrupted. I was beginning to make a judgement on her, one which wasn’t good. I calculated in my head and worked out that this was the third time, at least, that she’s interrupted me. I was beginning to dislike her.

“It’s not safe for you here, they might track you down. That’s why I left you with the others in the safe room.” She said a little softer than before. In a hot second I changed my mind about her again, I didn’t dislike her; she’s just looking out for me.

“I tapped your back to tell you something but then you flicked the switch. I didn’t mean to end up here.” I felt the need to explain, rubbing a spot on my arm (something I do when I’m nervous).

“It’s fine, just make sure I know when you stalk me next time,” She laughed, lightening the air. “Right now, I have a feeling Channing is in danger so I’m going upstairs to look for him. You should stay close to me so I can protect you if anything happens.”

I nodded but as we made our way upstairs I couldn’t help but ask her a question:

“How do you know he’s upstairs?” It was a whisper, although I had no idea why I was whispering.

“This has tracked him down. Do you see the red flicker on the screen? That’s where he is.” She showed me her watch, instead of numbers on a normal watch it had a square grid on the screen. There were grey lines, which I assumed represented different rooms in the house and on the corner of the screen was a red flicker.

“Wow!” there was so much more I wanted to say but I thought it wasn’t the right time as we reached the top of the stairs. I made a list of questions I would ask about the watch later in my head.

We passed more doors as we turned left from the stairs. There was an open door directly opposite us now. The room was pitch black and nothing could be seen as we made our way towards it. The closer we got, the louder a sound from inside became. At first I thought it was a buzzing but when we were inches away from the door I realised it was something that constantly banged against the floor.