Chapter 4

Sophie's Pov

Finally the first day is over. I’ve only had a quarter of a lesson today and I’m in need of a power nap.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to hear a bell in my life, I was out of there like there was free food outside as if my life depended on it, if it was the last thing I ever did I was determined to make it out of the door before I had to endure another conversation with him.

You may think I’m being dramatic, but from the moment I walked, or should I say thrown through the door it’s been awful horrendous life changing scaring moments all together into about 10 minutes of what was left of my lesson.

Why me, what have I ever done to deserve this torture? I think to myself as I walk to Emily’s lesson.

‘Who killed your cat?’ She asks when she sees my face.                                                               

‘Well seen as I don’t own a cat, good best friend you are.’ I say while storming towards the general direction I think the exit is.

‘It’s a saying, a posh way of saying what the fucks up with you?’ She says while pulling my arm in a complete opposite direction to the way I was heading, labelled ‘the exit’. I was close enough.

‘Just had to sit through a conversation with that guy from the bar, the one that striked out like 2 seconds within sitting down, I’ve been moved next to him.’ I say while walking outside.

I love the outside of the college, so much quieter and less confusing then the inside. There’s one  main path you can take that leads everywhere here which makes it possible for people like me to actually get somewhere without a sat nav. We start heading off to the college campus, at first me and Emily were reluctant to stay home because we didn’t want to miss our family’s, but were so glad we didn’t. Not because it’s an amazing place or anything, it’s a bit of a shithole but take away every night and unlimited TV? We’ll take it.

‘That’s a bummer but plus side he’s nice to look at.’ She says being her useful optimistic self.

 I hate optimism.

We get back to the apartment and within ten minutes we’ve got a cup of tea and the Disney channel on, some might say were too old for Disney but to some I say do I look like I give a shit? No.

After our little tea break we decided we should probably try act more our own age and go out to the college bar to try and meet some new people. We were both so close to just going in our grey trackies and jumpers but want to make a first good impression to change into something decent.

As we walk down the bar Emily says ‘Oh yeah I almost forgot, what you doing skiving lessons with boys who like to wink at random girls?’

‘Oh that’s jay. I was lost and he was late and we had the same lesson, he’s actually not that bad when you get to know him, poor choice in friends though.’ I say back.

We get to the doors, I take a big breath and plaster what I hope is a friendly smile. I’ve been told I look like I’m in pain when I smile so you can never be too careful.

The first thing I spot when I walk in is, girls, girls and well girls. Then you look closely and behind every girl is a pervy boys watching them dance waiting to get lucky, wonderful. 

All I hear is a yelp and I turn to see Emily holding a boys hand saying ‘If you touch me one more time it won’t just be your finger I break.’ 

There’s the best friend I know and love.

I feel 10 times better walking through this crowd knowing I have a psycho finger breaker accompanying me now.

Just as we reach the bar someone whispers in my ear ‘Hey sweetheart.‘

As soon as I hear those words I know the fat head they’re coming from.

‘Hey shit face, personal space please.’ I reply back not even turning around.

I feel his chest move against my back as he laughs and suddenly notice how hard it is, he may be on my most hated list but I'm not going deny the fact he’s got an amazing body and face.

It’s always the good looking ones.

He whistles the bartender over, because obviously waiting in line or calling ‘excuse me’ is too much for your majesty, surprise he doesn’t have a bell he rings and everyone comes running.

‘A drink for my girl please’ He says pointing at me.

A first I’m still in shock he knows manners exist and actually used one correctly I don’t notice he’s ordered me a drink.

‘Look I’ll take the drink cause it saves my money but let’s get this clear because your obviously missing my many rejections but I am not or never will be interested, so pay and go away.’ I say sweetly.

Grabbing the free drink before he can reply, I turn to look for Emily she’s sitting in a booth scowling so I make my way over.

‘Who killed your cat?’ I say using her line from earlier

She looks up pleased at my use of her wonderful saying as if she’s my teacher.

‘Nothing I just hate boys.’ She mutters

‘I’ll drink to that.’ I say holding up my glass

As I say this Luke and some girl walk past, for some reason my stupid brain thinks it’s okay to shout out after him.

‘Excuse me it’s been about 2 minutes since I turned you down, do you have no shame?’