Chapter 23

Chapter 23. 

"I'm so stupid," I said, burying my face deeper in my hands. Ever since Alex left me standing there at my doorstep a few minutes ago, I couldn't stop crying. Mom came five minutes after and rushed me inside. 

"You're not stupid, honey," she said. 

"Yes Mom! I am! I didn't say I loved him back!" 

"Why didn't you say it back?"

I shrugged. "I was shocked. I didn't expect that to come out of his mouth. I mean we've been dating for a month. Isn't it too soon?"

Mom rubbed my back while she rested her head next to mine. "Honey, before your Dad and I got married," I could hear her voice crack. Talking about Dad always made her cry. "We dated and within a couple months I knew I was in love with him. I didn't realize it until he said those three words, I knew I loved him back." 

I sniffed. 

"You know, today at the childcare center, I saw the way Alex was looking at you. The adoration in his eyes whenever you smiled. The way you read to Amelia, you could see he is in love with you." 

"What are you trying to tell me Mom?" I asked, lifting my head from my hands. 

"I'm telling you, that you should chase after Alex. Go to his house and clear things up."

"He doesn't want to talk to me."

"Sweetie, he does. Even though he's mad, he does. Trust me."

I sighed. "Okay."

When I reached Alex's house, all the lights were off. I glanced at my phone in my pocket. 9:24. Great, he's probably sleeping. Right before I was going to leave, an idea popped in my head. I started looking around on the ground for rocks. I found a few and started chucking them at his window. I missed a couple times but one hit and accidentally broke through his window. I covered my mouth with my hands. Whoops. Suddenly, his bedroom light turned on. Alex appeared at the window a few seconds later, covering his head with his hand.

"Yeah, you hit me in the head with a rock. Jack, could you please stop throwing rocks at my window at night?" Alex spoke. I furrowed my eyebrows. Oh, he must think I'm Jack. Alex's eyes traveled down on the ground where I was standing. His expression hard. 

"Marie, what the fuck are you doing here?" 

"I want to talk to you," I said. 

"Well, I don't want to talk to you."

Just when Alex was about to close his window, I chucked another rock. 

"What?" He asked. 

"Please, just let me explain." 

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm coming down."

A few minutes later, Alex's front door swung open and out walked Alex with a white tshirt and red boxers. Nice to know that he cleaned up for me. He stood in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest. "What do you want?" He asked. 

"I'm sorry," I said. 

"What?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't say anything back tonight. I was just shocked, okay?" 

Alex stood there and just stared at me, not saying a word. 

"I mean, not everyday you walk home with your boyfriend and he tells you he loves you. I mean, what if I randomly said that to you? Wouldn't you be surprised to?" 

Alex ran his fingers through his hair again. "Yeah, I would be surprised but Marie. You're different."

"What?"

"You're different then most girls I've dated. You're not like Jasey, who sometimes can be a bitch. You're also not like Lisa, who sometimes can be annoying. What makes you extremely different is that you're the first and only girl that I've opened up to. I've always been private about my life and I've always wanted it to be that way. Until I met you. Even though you pushed me and pushed me trying to tell you about my life, I realized that you care. That you actually cared about me and liked me for me and not for sex. Marie, honestly you've changed my life. And when I said those three words to you tonight, I actually meant it." 

Alex started to slowly walk towards me. 

"Marie, I love you. And I mean it."

Alex finally stood in front of me, practically, hovering. Without thinking, I grabbed his face and pulled it down to my lips, kissing him slowly. He placed his hands on my waist as my fingers tangled in his hair. What seemed like centuries, we pulled apart. 

"I love you too, Alex. And I mean it."

A smile creeped on Alex's face as he kissed me again. Suddenly, we both saw a bright flash go off. Alex and I pulled away and looked over to the front door of his house. There stood his Mom and Dad. His Mom holding a camera. 

"Please don't tell me you took a picture of that," Alex said. 

Isobel squealed. "We did!" 

"Oh god," Alex groaned. I giggled and kissed his cheek. 

"Isobel, stop embarrassing the poor lad," Peter said. 

"Dear, I'm not embarrassing him. Only teasing," Isobel said and snapped another picture of Alex and I.

"It's getting kind of late, I should head home." 

Alex softly smiled and pecked my lips. "Goodbye. Love you."

I couldn't help but smile at those words. 

"Love you too."

"You guys, I have a great idea!" Jack announced the next day in Science. 

"Oh no," Samantha said. Jack glared at her.

"No, it's a good one!" 

"What is it?" I asked. 

"We all should go to Vegas this weekend."

"Are you crazy Jack? How are we going to Vegas? And why should we go to Vegas?" Samantha asked. 

"Well, you still have our van from tour right, Alex?" 

"Right," Alex said. 

"We could use that. I don't know why we should go to Vegas, we need to have fun for a bit before we go on Warped."

"I think it's a good idea," Alex shrugged. 

"But you guys, we're not even eighteen yet. Almost all the places in Vegas are casinos or bars," I said. "Should we rethink this?"

Jack shook his head. "No, Vegas, here we come!"

The next night, all of us, Alex, Jack, Rian, Zack, Flyzik, Kara, Danny, Vinny, Colussy and I, all showed up in the garage of Alex's house at midnight. The guys packed their guitars and other band stuff in the truck. They think while they are in Vegas, they might as well, play a show. I had a little trouble sneaking out, since my mom doesn't know I'm going to Vegas. But I managed. 

"You guys ready?" Jack asked. 

"Yep," Alex said. 

"Before we all head in the van, we all should set some ground rules because there's, um, couples here," Flyzik said, narrowing his eyes at Alex, Rian, Kara and I. 

"No making out in the vans. No making out with other people," Flyzik ordered. "And no sex."

"So we all ready?!" Vinny asked. 

"YEAH!" 

"WE ALL READY TO GO TO VEGAS!" 

"YEAH!"

We all formed a circle and put or hands in the middle.

"1, 2,3, Vegas baby!"