The Sister

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This is my first fic, though I've read more than I care to admit. Any suggestions, tips, questions, or comments are welcome, but please no flames! If you don't like it don't read it. Anyways, hope you enjoy!!
DISCLAIMER:
What's Tolkien's is Tolkien's. The only characters I claim are Emryn, Lilethwyn, and Gwaeryn. I wish Eomer was mine though. Ah well.
EDITED 6-25-17

~.~

Emryn ducked as the blade cut through the air where her head had just been. That was close. Too close. She dove to the ground and rolled, coming up behind her attacker and pressing her dagger against their neck.

"Do you yield?" She asked, and her opponent's shoulders slumped.

"I yield," Lilethwyn panted back, stepping away from Emryn and sheathing her blade. She was tall, taller than a mortal at least, for she was Elven, evidenced in her beauty, strength, and pointed ears. Emryn too was tall, thanks to her long, muscular legs, but she was not of Elvish decent. She was mortal, raised by elves since her second year, after her parents were slain by orcs. She too sheathed her sword, and turned to her best friend.

"You've improved! I used to be able to beat you in two minutes!" Emryn exclaimed

"I've been training," Lilethwyn defended, her cheeks tinting a rosy color.

"With whom?" Emryn pried, a knowing smirk on her face.

"Haldir." Lilethwyn whispered, glancing around nervously. "He wanted to start training with me because I'm to join the border guard."

Of course, Emryn already knew that, because she was the one who set it up. Granted, it had taken calling in almost every favor she was owed and a lot of effort, but she was confident that this move would help bring a certain Marchwarden's affections for her friend into light.

"That's fantastic Lilethwyn! Now you can fight orcs and win his heart at the same time," she replied with a cheeky wink. "Though I think he may have already fallen for you."

"Oh nonsense. But what about you? And elvish lords caught your eye?" Lilethwyn asked hurriedly, changing the subject.

Emryn sighed. "No. It seems I am to grow old alone, for Elrond decreed that I was to stay here until need or duty take me away. Of course, knowing Uncle, the only possible need that could take me from here would be the end of the world, and even then he might refuse."

"One day you'll get your chance, Emryn, and the mortal men will swoon at your feet!" Lilethwyn exclaimed, prompting a scoff from Emryn.

"Yes, and dwarves will walk alongside elves without disagreeing."

"Well come on then Emryn, daughter of Gloom, let's get cleaned up," Lilethwyn announced, and the two strode off toward their flet, with their minds in dreams.

~.~

Emryn was toweling her hair dry when a knock sounded at the door. Lilethwyn, already finished, answered it, to find a guard waiting outside.

"The Lady wishes to see Lady Emryn," the guard said. Lilethwyn turned to Emryn, a curious look on her face, but Emryn just shook her head. I wonder what I did this time. I haven't played any pranks since Aragorn left, she thought, and followed the guard to the Lord and Lady's flet.

At the flet, the guard motioned for her to wait, and he left. She could hear voices, one the Lady's, but the others were rougher, and more muffled. Who are they, and what do they have to do with me? As soon as she had wondered at this, Lady Galadriel's voice sounded in her head. "Come out, child."