Chapter Nine

Mason's point of view

We went to the last place the most recent girl had been abducted from. There had to be something there for us.

I had to give them some credit; they were definitely smarter than I first presumed. They knew how to hide their scents. They weren't making this easy for me and leaving a trail to their doorstep. They were hard to find, but these guys just couldn't get away with this.

When we got to the area, I instantly knew there would be nothing for us here. There was a lot of foot traffic through this area; I could catch too many scents. I was good, but I wasn't the best at it.

The alpha took his two wolves and spread out. The two he brought were learning the quickest, so they wouldn't get in my way. They were searching for something they wouldn't find.

I needed to catch the scent that I had. I needed to confirm my hunch. If I was right, I was dealing with someone who might give me some serious issues. I might have to call my brother down for backup if I was right.

I went into the brush, in search of a good vantage point to watch anyone who would come through the area. They would have sat and waited for their opportunity. These two rogues were very opportunistic. Lex thought they were getting more brazen, coming to more and more public areas to abduct their victims. I couldn't help but agree with her.

I followed my senses. If I were on a hunt and wanted to scope out my prey, I would want to be somewhere higher up, where I couldn't be spotted or scented. I looked around and saw a small hill.

I quietly made my way over. I didn't want to attract any attention. I put my nose to the ground and followed a faint trace of werewolves. It was older, but might end up being useful.

The scents collected at some dense brush, great for spying without getting caught. I laid on my belly and put myself in their shoes.

This really was the perfect place. I could see the alpha and his two wolves searching around for scents in vain.

This was a perfect vantage point. No one knew I was watching them. I could wait for the open opportunity and strike when I had the chance. This spot riled my wolf for a hunt. We needed to find these guys soon. The failure at catching them was a thorn in our paw.

I rested my head on my paws and took a long, deep breath to take in my surroundings and commit them all to memory.

What I hadn't been expecting was to pick up the scent I was looking for, and it made me furious.

I didn't have very many memories of the pack my father had been in, but I remembered some things about it. Grayson and I were introduced to a couple of my father's pack, but only the ones he really trusted. When we were changed, we met the pack twice before my father broke off from the pack, taking a few with us.

We were on the run for a long time before we settled down because my father took several of the children from the other wolves. That was how the core of our pack was created, kidnapping.

Declan was one of my father's closest friends. No one had seen or heard from him since Finn's pack tore through the pack. That pack was wiped from the world as if they had never existed before. My theory was that my father knew Finn was coming and saved who he could, but that would be a fairytale because my father was no hero.

Much like my father, Declan was losing it. Declan would know who I was, so that surprise would be gone. My father did a great job at training my brother and I to fight, Declan knew that. I didn't know who the other wolf was to Declan, but they were definitely close.

Now that I knew who I was after, changed things, he was old and smart. I couldn't just trick him into coming out into the open. Finding Declan would be harder now; he would be careful now that he knew someone was after him. This was not looking to be an easy task for me.