Chapter Five

Thank you Maya_2011 for the picture!

 ---

It took a long time for the party to settle down. At home, the thick insulated walls had spoiled me when there was noise outside of my door.

I wasn't spoiled here. I couldn't sleep until the music finally stopped. I wouldn't last long before snapping if I had to go through that every night. 

I wasn't happy when I went into the kitchen.  The place was dead at nine a.m.  At home, I would've slept in late! I started the coffee before turning my attention to breakfast. By the time I had everything prepped, the coffee was done. 

Mason came in when I was halfway through the pancake batter. He ran his hands through his wet hair and looked around confused. "Where is everyone?"

I shrugged my shoulders and put more finished pancakes on the platter I had set inside of the stove to keep warm. "This place is dead. I'm not used to this."

He nodded and stood beside me, ripping open the bacon and starting to cook that. Bacon was, by far, his favorite thing to eat. 

---

We had to meet with the alpha to get up to speed on what he knew... at two in the afternoon. It was ridiculous. How were we supposed to find these guys if the alpha wouldn't even act like a responsible adult? This was his problem. We were here to solve it because he wouldn't. 

"We could be doing something productive," I complained as I sat down on one of the chairs in the room. I finally gave up waiting for the alpha.

Mason shrugged as he kept looking at the books on the shelves. "We have to wait. You don't barge in on an alpha without a few bruises."

"You walk in on Grayson all the time."

He turned and gave me a look that said 'this is different', before turning his attention back to the books. "We just have to wait. It probably won't be long."

So we waited and waited. It was almost three in the afternoon when the alpha decided to grace us with his presence. 

By the smell of him, he hadn't even showered. He reeked of alcohol as he passed by. It was hard for werewolves to get drunk. He would have had to have drunken gallons of alcohol to have the smell still coming from his pores.

It was everything I could do to hold my breath so I didn't have to smell him. He stood over by his desk, but didn't say a word before he looked over at Mason.

Mason kept his eyes on me as he came over to a chair and sat down. He wasn't afraid of the alpha and didn't wait for the offering.

I was done waiting for one of them to speak, so I did. "We're here to help you and you keep us waiting for an hour? That's rude and disrespectful. I wouldn't keep our guests waiting, especially when we're here to solve your problem."

The alpha's wolf was very much in his gaze when his eyes lightened as he sat down at his desk. His wolf was slowly coming to the surface, he wasn't happy with something. "This is my pack to rule as I see fit."

I scoffed. "This pack is sick." Even this office was littered with paperwork. Paint chipped from the ceiling and the air smelled stale. This room wasn't used much.

The alpha wolf surged to his feet and slammed his hands on the table. I took a step back, towards Mason. The alpha's eyes lightened completely into gold. 

With a sigh, Mason pushed himself off of his chair. "You're just angry because you know she's right. You've let your pack get out of control, that's why you can't find these guys. You don't have the strength for it."