Chapter One- My holiday

Academy for the Gifted

Chapter One

I stared out the window, into the high-grounded orchid below my room. The flowers and plants were a flourish of life, the transformation that had taken place over the summer a wonder of Mother Nature. I shielded my eyes from the suns raise. I touched the soft skin on my forehead, the last scar barely a bump to my fingers.

I let out a breath, and turned back to my suitcase, the clothes neatly folded into their sections and my possessions tucked away. My cupboard had tripled in size since school, Sasha’s parents allowing me pocket money just like Sasha. I’d bought things that I never would’ve dreamed of ever owning. I had my own hairbrush, a necklace, and Sasha had even taught me how to put on makeup.

I’d pulled out my favourite dress, the same one my parents had set out on the day I’d been sent to Vires Academy. It didn’t bring any good memories but I loved its design, simplistic as it was I still couldn’t help but love how I looked in it.

Leaning forward I zipped up the suitcase and heaved it off the bed, setting it down beside me as I took one last look at the room. Sasha’s family had let me stay in their guest room, a luxurious bedroom with floral wallpaper, a queen sized bed, and a round window that looked over their orchid. I didn’t want to leave, I enjoyed ever moment I had in this room, in this house. It was my home, my home away from home, and had made me feel so safe and so comfortable that most of the time I forgot about my old life. And that made me happy.

Picking up my luggage I left the room and made my way down stairs, leaning to one side to support the weight. I got down to the front door just as Sasha appeared from outside, quickly grabbing my bag off me.

‘Come on. We’ve been waiting for you,’ she grinned as ushered me out of the house.

‘I can carry my own bag,’ I tried to grab it off her.

‘You’re too slow and we’re already late. The plane leaves in less than two hours,’ Sasha hurried towards her family’s car, her dad sitting behind the driver seat patiently.

‘How long will the plane ride take?’ I asked as we got into the car.

‘Only a couple of hours,’ Sasha said as the car started.

The atmosphere settled as we made our way out of the family’s property. I lent against the window, watching the places that I’d spent my summer flash past. The tree house by the old swing that had been affectionately named Gandalf. The tree house was so small Sasha and I had to go on all fours to enter and exit though it didn’t stop us playing in it. There was the small stream at the edge of the orchid that had a tree rope hanging across it but of which we weren’t allowed to use. Sasha had also introduced me to Prune; an old Shetland pony that had been given to Sasha’s mum when she was young.

Out of all the activities that were on the property the one that I enjoyed the most was quad bikes. Four wheeled vehicles that were a cross between a motorbike and a tractor. Sasha would take me on rides across the hills, speeding so fast my screams were lost in the air. She’d take us to the back paddock, where away from preying eyes we were able to practise our super powers.

‘There’s the Smith’s,’ Sasha leapt up, pointing out the car. We’d passed out of Sasha’s property and had entered the small strip of town that provided the bare minimal to the farms in the area.

I wound down the window as we passed and stuck my head out. The Smith children noticed me and began to wave. Sasha’s dad had slowed enough for us to keep pace to them.

‘Are you leaving Ranger?’ One of the five kids asked.

‘Yeah, going back to the Academy,’ I said. They pouted and one even lent forward to give me a hug.