Chapter Six

Chapter Six

There was once a time in my life when I would’ve found a maths class the most exciting thing in the world, a new experience that I’d never had. Strangely I felt the opposite. Compared to what had been happening at the end of last year having to sit in front of a teacher drawl on about equations was surprisingly dull. It was weird to see how easy the students slipped between super powers and the normal life of a teenager. It wasn’t out of the ordinary to see a student turn to liquid, slip under a door and reappear on the other side in solid form just to sit down at a desk and recite the fifty states of America. For me though I didn’t find it that part too weird, I wasn’t used to anything else so for me that was normal.

“Ranger, are you coming?” Sasha asked, wondering why I was hanging back a bit.

“What’s our next class?” I asked. I’d been wandering blindly behind her in the corridor and it wasn’t until she spoke that I was jolted from my daydream.

“We have training. But it’s in small groups and we’re not together so I don’t know where you are. Check your timetable,” Sasha sighed, giving me help with my sheet. “You’re in C7, that’s near the science labs.”

I grimaced and looked around. “And where are the science labs…?”

“Come one Ranger, you’ve been here long enough!” When Sasha saw I was struggling she added, “It’s down the hall, through the gym, and to the left.”

“Thanks,” I grinned and went to follow her instructions.

The bell sounded right when I entered the classroom and I was thankful to see that I was not the last one there.

“Ranger,” Jett waved from across the room. Weaving my way through the tables I thankfully sat down beside him, glad that I knew at least on person there.

The teacher entered, and I was surprised to see that it was Henry, the vice principal. He smiled to the students, quickly taking out his bag without a word.

“What’s this class anyway?” I whispered to Jett.

“I don’t really know, something to do with practising our powers I guess.”

Henry swirled around, catching Jett and I out. “This class is called Bravery and Deceit, it focuses on strengthening not only your powers but also your will. We will be studying weakness and strengths, and you will learn to harness your strengths to the best of your abilities and concurring your deepest fears. I’ve taken this class for years now and on average only 70% of the students have been able to pass. It was not because they had to push themselves to the limit, though that does play a factor, The reason many students have not passed is because through the exercises we go through you will begin to question yourself and your fellow classmates. These games we’ll play confuses you, challenging what you believe is the truth and trying to convince you of the opposite. You have all been hand picked for this class; every student is selected for a specific skill that us teachers believe will enhance your abilities, so feel privileged to be in this class. If you ever feel that you will not make it through the end of this coarse I want you to tell me, but be warned I have never moved a student. It’s this class or nothing.”

There was silence after he finished. None of us had thought very much of this class, and his almost threat was daunting and a huge shock. There were only ten students in this class and if he said only 70% passed that meant that three people in the room would be failing.

“Well,” Henry clapped his hands together. “On that note, lets begin.”

--------------

“What did you write down as your fear?” Jett glanced at my paper. Henry had given us a worksheet, where we stated our fears/weaknesses and what we thought our strengths were.

“For psychological I said the dark and for physical I said speed. You?”

“Height for me and also reflex. I’m so bad that when Taylor chucked me a ball I just stood there watching it until it smashed me in the face.”

“Ouch,” I winced, imagining the event. “I have no idea what I’m good at though.”

Jett laughed. “Oh come on you’re good at so many things.”

“It’s always hard to assess yourself. It feels weird.”

“Okay,” Jett straightened so he was looking straight at me. “Why don’t we do each other? I’ll go first.”

I nodded and we locked eyes.

“Your psychological strength is determination. If you want to do something you will get it done no matter what,” Jett said honestly.

A small smile tugged at my lips and I couldn’t help my body flush with happiness. It felt nice to get a compliment like that, it filled me with strength.

“Well Jett,” I barely had to think for a second. “You are the most compassionate person I know. You look after the people around you.”

“Thank you,” Jett smiled just as Henry came to take everyone’s papers.

He took the papers and set them in a small metal box in front of the class. “Now that that’s done, Miranda,” he indicated for one of the students to stand. “Could you please do the honours?”

The girl stood up tentatively and shuffled to the front of the class. Henry indicated to the box and for a second the girl seemed confused until suddenly realisation dawned. Reaching up she plucked out one of her long blond hairs and dropped it into the box. A second later there was a whoosh and fire appeared in the box. It lasted less then half a minute but once the fire died down the metal box was empty.

Henry addressed the once again stunned students. “In this class we will be experimenting in the true meaning of fear and will. We will be exploring what you each fear the most, the thing you are so afraid of you cannot even admit. And we will also bring to light the strength that could save your life.”