20 - Emotions and Sparks Fly

Brooke wanted to see the third Narnia movie. I didn’t go over to Nate’s as I was still furious. Every time I thought about him, I would just hear his words over and over again which only added to my anger.

We arrived at the movies relatively early. We were going to the showing that was earlier in the day so it wouldn’t be too busy. That actually backfired as everyone seemed to have the same idea making the line for tickets ridiculously long.

“It’s never this busy on a Wednesday,” Brooke commented as she tried to see to the front of the line.

I shifted my weight to my other foot and sighed. I really didn’t want to be here. The line moved slowly and nothing exciting happened until we were close to the front. I spotted someone coming out of the bathroom and immediately I hid behind Brooke. Sadly, she was three inches shorter than me and didn’t really cover me very well.

“Peyton?” Nate asked walking over to us. The people in line behind us groaned but Nate assured them that he wasn’t cutting.

“Hey,” I greeted awkwardly as I moved out from behind Brooke. She looked over at me with a huge smile on her face. “Nate, this is my friend Brooke.”

They shook hands while I stuffed mine into my pockets. “What are you doing here?”

“You know Sean and I always go to the movies on Wednesdays.”

“Damn,” I muttered under my breath. “I thought you went at night?”

“Lily is coming over later for dinner so we came to an earlier one.”

“Well, nice to see you and all but Brooke and I are going to spend some girl time together.” I was ready for him to leave but Nate only nodded in response. This caused me to become instantly annoyed.

Brooke caught on and covered for me. “Can we help you?”

“I’m just going to wait for my friend. You don’t mind, do you?” Nate asked speaking only to her.

Brooke glanced back at me but I only crossed my arms over my chest and stared at her expectantly.

“I guess,” she answered him after a minute. I sighed irritated then moved up in line. All three of us were silent as the people in front of us ordered a popcorn and drink for all of their kids.

“Hey,” a voice said causing my attention to look over at Sean. My eyes widened immediately and it wasn’t because Sean looked so horrible. His hair appeared as if it hadn’t touched a comb in months and his face was practically drained of color, except for his eyes. His brown eyes stayed downcast and were red around the rims. Nate glanced at me concerned but I didn’t even acknowledge him.

I was more concerned about the magnetic feeling I felt between Brooke and Sean.

No, no, no, no!

This couldn’t be happening! Not now! Not when I was mad at Nate and not when I had everything else going on. My mind went into a full panic frenzy.

“Can you hold our spot in line?” I asked Nate. He looked at me questioningly but then nodded. Brooke gave him the free tickets and told him what she wanted as I pulled her away.

“What’s going on?” She asked after we were farther away from them. I let out a shaky breath trying to collect my thoughts.

“Brooke,” I began seriously causing Brooke to furrow her eyebrows. “You know that I love you like a sister?”

Brooke nodded slowly and I felt tears beginning to sting my eyes as I weighed my options. I could make us leave and never have Brooke and Sean in the same room again…or I could do what was right.