13 - Graceful Laundry

The next day, I arrived at Nate’s house prepared to pretend that the day before had never happened. Nate seemed to act differently around me though as if I was unstable and would break down at any moment. Inside his apartment, we didn’t speak for a long time.

“Look,” Nate finally spoke. “About yesterday-”

“Let’s forget about it,” I interrupted. “I’ve already pushed it out of my mind and I suggest you do the same.”

Nate studied me for a moment then let the subject drop. “What were you planning for today?”

I walked around his kitchen and living room until I spotted his cell. I grabbed the square phone in my hands and tried to find the contact list. He had one of those phones that slide open to reveal a full keyboard. When I found what I wanted, I shoved the phone at Nate.

“What am I supposed to do with this?” He looked down at the small screen.

“Call your-soon-to-be-girlfriend, and set up a date.” I sat down on his couch.

Nate stared at the phone for a few more seconds before he took a deep breath and dialed. He watched me and I heard the faint sound of the other line ringing.

It only took a minute before a girl’s voice spoke.

“Lily? It’s Nate. I was…uh…wondering if…”

Nate left the room and I left him alone to ask this girl out. I stared at the black TV screen and thought about the night before.

It went just as I expected. When Nate returned with my jacket, I put it on myself then hailed a taxi back down to Earth. Henry was the one to take us this time since both he and his brother were working shifts until the party was over. The ride back to Earth was silent and both Nate and I kept to our sides of the car. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t awkward. We reached his apartment first when Nate offered to take me home first.

I shook my head at him and mumbled a ‘see you tomorrow’ before he got out of the car and left. The tension between us did not go unnoticed but Henry was wise enough to keep his mouth shut. It was then I decided that I had to convince Nate to go out with Lily as soon as possible.

Henry then took me back to Brooke’s house. Upon entering her apartment, I realized that I was home alone for whatever reason. I figured that Brooke was working or at school so I didn’t give it much thought. I immediately headed for the bed were I sunk down into the mattress and drifted off to sleep. In the morning, I had some explaining to do to Brooke who wanted a full report. I gave her the basics and explained my horrible appearance. After I was cleaned up, I headed over to Nate’s house for the day.

“I got a date,” Nate announced triumphantly snapping me out of the flashback.

I nodded. “Good, when?”

“Tomorrow,” Nate replied obviously proud of himself. That boy sure did move fast. Hopefully that would just make my job easier.

“Okay.” I stood up and walked over to his room.

“Wait- what are you doing?” Nate asked alarmed.

“Planning your outfit for your date,” I replied as I pushed opened his bedroom door.

“No!” He yelled but I was already taking the step inside his room.

My eyes widen as I searched to find the carpet. “What the hell?”

Nate squeezed passed me into the room and surveyed the room. There were clothes everywhere. I wasn’t sure how deep the pile was but you couldn’t walk around without stepping on something and nothing appeared to be clean.