2 - First Impressions

"You have living arrangements?" Psyche asked.

I stood outside of their house more than ready to get back down to Earth.

"I'm staying with Brooke," I replied. "As always."

"You are always welcomed here," Psyche reminded putting her hands on my shoulders. I gave her a quick hug then looked over at Eros.

"Are you going to meet him today?" He handed over the case file. I took the folder and stuffed it under my arm.

"Maybe." I shrugged. Psyche excused herself mumbling something about food in the oven.

"Come back soon," she shouted behind her as she left. I looked back at Eros expectantly but he stood awkwardly.

"Don't scare the poor boy. You've never had a case where you've had to formally meet the client," Eros said after a minute.

"I'll be fine," I assured as I signaled for a cab.

Eros walked over and held out his arms as if to offer a hug but then he reached into my pocket and pulled out my pack of cigarettes. He waved them in my face before opening the pack.

"I thought you were quitting?"

I rolled my eyes. "Why should I? It's not like I can get lung cancer."

"Your grandmother will not be happy upon hearing this," he declared.

"I'll quit when that pack is empty." I reached out for the pack but Eros held it out of my reach.

Eros evilly took the two remaining cigarettes from the pack and broke them in half. I stared at him with my mouth hanging open as he threw the tobacco on the ground and handed me the empty carton.

"Looks like it's time to quit," he exclaimed smartly. I angrily took the pack and shoved it back into my pocket as a yellow cab pulled up beside the curb.

I pulled open the door and set one foot inside but not before proclaiming, "I'm not cleaning that up." I slammed the door shut behind me and told Harry where I wanted to go.

"Trouble in paradise?" Harry questioned as he started the car. I saw Eros wave at me from the curb.

"Paradise?"

"Come on." Harry met my eyes in the rearview mirror. "You live in the house of love. That has to mean that everything is always great."

"Yeah," I muttered. "It's just peachy."

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

I stepped out onto the curb and thanked Harry for the ride. I faced the huge and looming apartment building. I sighed before walking through the main door. I took the steps two at a time until I reached the fourth floor.

I knocked politely on the correct door and in a matter of seconds someone opened it. A small brunette looked up at me. I was about three inches taller than her 5'0 frame. She watched me with her big brown eyes that were nicely framed by her heart shaped face.

"Peyton?"

"Hey Brooke." I walked past her into the apartment. "Nice to see you home for once."

Brooke shut the door and rubbed her eyes. "Sorry, I just have a busy schedule especially with my new job."

"Another one?" I set down the folder on her coffee table. "How many is that now?"

"Let's see...I work at Starbucks on Mondays and Fridays, the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, and now I work at the theater Thursdays and Sundays." Brooke literally plopped down on the couch.